My husband has had 2 urinary tract infections in 2 months, but the only symptoms he had were rust colored urine and it took slightly longer than usual to begin urinating. The doctor said there was bile in his urine and now he's waiting to see if antibiotics will clear it up. I've been searching the internet for causes of bile in the urine and can find nothing but serious conditions. That scares me a lot; can it be something that isn't serious? Can it be cleared up with antibiotics?

I am not a doctor, but I am a nurse who worked in urology department and I have not heard of bile in the urine from an infection. The antibiotics are not going to do anything for the bile. They will kill off the bacteria that are causing the infection. I think he should get a second opinion about the bile. He should have his liver function tested. The rust or tea colored urine is because of the backup of bile in the duct and my blood stream and the resulting trauma to the liver. Please get another opinion!!!