Hi All, 
I had my gall bladder removed 2 weeks ago, after surgery my surgeon told me I had been born with 2 bile ducts connecting to my liver, he had never seen it before, has anyone else had this?  so far my recovery has been ok but am now having to have MRI scans & extra tests to make sure 2nd bile duct will not cause a problem. Would love to hear if anyone else has had experience of this as i'm a little concerned!

well that sounds unuasaual i hope everything goes good

Actually I also had two bile ducts. According to my surgeon there has only been 100 documented cases of this. I had my surgery 5 years ago and have had no problems.

I just spent four days in the hospital, diagnosed with pancreatitis.  After X-rays, CT-Scan were performed, the doctor informed me that I had Biliary Atresia or born with two bile ducts.  The next day, they performed a GI scope and found a large ulcer in my pancreas. I am 44 years old and am very concerned about all of these findings.  Was put on medication and have to repeat GI scope in 6 weeks to check on ulcer, told to go on a low fat diet and told that it would be in my best interest not to have another alcoholic drink again for the rest of my life (did not drink on a regular basis anyway).

My surgeon explained that there were some risks to having a laparoscopic cholecystectomy but never did he say that there was the risk of having multiple "procedures' as a result of having my gallbladder removed. That Friday morning, had I known what lie ahead, I would have cancelled the surgery and taken my chances with the gallbladder and stones. You see, I too had two (2) bile ducts from my liver to the gallbladder. Unfortunately, my surgeon fully embraced the medical "advancement" of laparoscopy and had become complacent in the process never noticing the "birth defect" during the course of the surgery in spite of the fact that he had to change from do an "open" cholecystectomy abandoning the laparoscopic surgery. Initially I was told that the "same day" procedure would likely be an overnight stay for me because of other health issues so I wasn't surprised to be staying over night. What did surprise me was the fact that I was in the ICU overnight due to tachycardia--especially uncomfortable since I usually have bradycardia and the faster heart rate made me feel like I had just ran a marathon. Without looking into what was causing the elevated heart rate I was released from my local hospital. Don't get me wrong...a small town hospital was not the issue here. The problems that arose can be traced straight back to the surgeon himself. All day Saturday I felt ill and was in a lot of pain. Sunday morning I had planned to go to church, something I look forward to every week, but was too sick to attend that day. By Sunday afternoon the pain was unbearable and my husband talked me into "bothering" the surgeon with a phone call. When I spoke with him on the phone he expressed no concern and seemed instead to imply that I wasn't in as much pain as I thought I was. He did, however, give me the option to go in to my local ER for a hypo to ease the pain. Now, I'm not a needle person, in fact I almost didn't get married because of the blood test my state required 30+ years ago; but I was desperate for relief so my husband drove me to the hospital, brought me back home and tucked me in to my bed. Though the hypo did little for my pain it did allow me to sleep off and on throughout the night. The next morning I felt like I was dying so after my kids went off to school my husband drove me to the 25 minutes to the larger hospital in the more "metropolitan" city. Every railroad track, pothole, rock, etc. that we drove over had me doubled over in tears. Long story short the second duct had been missed by the surgeon who had cauterized the duct temporarily sealing it off, but when enough pressure built up the bile burst out of the duct filling my abdomen with the caustic fluid meant to aid digestion. The gastroenterologist who examined me initially backed up the surgeon's line of thinking up until the cause of my agony was staring him in the face. Then everyone was full of apologies... everyone but the surgeon that is. They tried to make me comfortable and scheduled me for surgery first thing the next morning. It took an additional 5 more "procedures" to right things as best they could. (I still have some residual issues but I can live with those.) The surgeon eventually told me, in his infinite wisdom, that when they performed this type of surgery with a scalpel they rarely would miss this type of "birth defect" because they could see the leaking duct right away but since they use instruments that cauterize as they cut the surgeon needs to take extra care to look for such anomalies. He politely asked my permission to write a paper for some medical journal to let new docs with "less experience" know how to avoid putting their patients through a similar ordeal. I guess that was his was of making peace. It's been more than 15 years now and whenever I hear that someone is going to have their gallbladder removed I tell them of my experience and beg them to ask there surgeon to take the time to look for an extra duct. I would hate to think that someone else went through the same thing that I did because I didn't say something. May God bless you and keep you! I wish you all the best.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I am in the same boat as you, I'm trying to find answers as well, after my surgery I was sent to the hida scan again to see if any leakage was happening, the test came back fine so I'm at home, worring lol if I have more info i will share it with u

wow, I have been having trouble with with my stomach for years, finally the dr gave me a m.r.i on my stomach an found I had a extra bile duct on my pancrease , im sooooo worried I don't know whats going on , an I have gallstones as well can u please reply

Thank you for your story, my daughter just went through the exact same thing. Now there is a bag of bile attached to her liver. Tomorrow they are putting a drainage tube in .She has been in so much pain.

Just spotted your post. A few years ago I had my gall bladder removed with gallstones. 2 days later I was back in hospital with peritonitis because there was bile and blood leaking. They'd only sealed off one of my bile ducts, hadn't spotted the other one. They said it was unusual to have two. Had another op to seal off the second one and tons of antibiotics.

Can you tell me the doctor that wrote the article on people that have an extra bile duct. I had the same surgery and leak bile all through my belly my legs swelled up in my ankles and feet. I've had two men cut opened from sternum to belly button and had to be flushed out was in severe pain for days spent 32 days in the hospital. I was just wanting to know what article or Journal this doctor and his name was so I could read about it. 
... I thank you for your time and may God richly bless you.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Can you tell me the doctor that wrote in the journal about people with two bile ducts like you have. I will look back for a reply. Thank you for your time and may God richly bless you.

Yes, I live in Austria, I two have this rare abnormality! Two Gallbladders, I have stones in both!!!!! They are cutting them both out next Friday, much love faye xxx

I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago and after the laparoscopic surgery I was told by the surgeon that I had 2 bile ducts. My next door neighbor is a pathologist and she told me this is EXTREMELY rare.
I had no complications because the surgeon saw both of them as he conducted the surgery.
I have another anomaly--I have one attached earlobe and the other is detached. I have begun to wonder if I am a mosaic.
Do you have any other anomalies?

Do you have any other anomalies?

Apparently I have 2 as well.i only know as my gallbladder was removed and I had bile leak of 7 litre in abdomen 4 days later. They eventually opened me as was septaceamic. They then found the extra duct...it has a stent now and I survived to tell the tale ..