Hi, I have smelly urine and I am afraid what might it be. A year ago, I used to suffer from numerous urinary infections.

Hi, I also have a smelly urine from time to time, but my GP doesn’t take this as some serious symptom. It’s not a normal urine smell, like ammonia, it’s more of a strong fishy one. I am embarrassed when I go to visit someone. I have solved the problem to some extent by drinking more water every day to avoid concentrated urine. I was also advised to take cranberry juice, but I have no infection, so what’s the point in taking it. However, cranberry juice is a natural urinary antiseptic and really works, so it’s worth trying. Have a urine test to check if there is any infection.

Hello there,

The smelly urine can be a sign of urinary tract infection but not necessarily. Do you feel any other symptoms such as burning sensation while you are urinating or even pain in the back?

Have you been discovering blood in your urine?

If the answer is yes to all these questions than you  are probably suffering from UTI and you will have to see your doctor about this as you already know. Antibiotics and increased amount of fluids are going to resolve this problem in a few days.

Also there is one more reason of smelly urine and this one is related with the food you are eating. If you are consuming asparagus very often stop and you will notice the difference.