I had gallbladder removed. Surgeon cut my duct to my liver and left an accessory branch pouring bile into my abdomen. I had biliary peritonitis, pnuemoperitineum, septic shock. I was within 24hrs of death. The surgeon who performed the surgery told me he was sorry, he just didn't see it. Now I have liver damage and I was informed today that I may have hepatitis. >;) I called my surgeon for 4 days telling him something was not right and he kept putting me off and telling me to walk.... needless to say, the more I was walking, the more I was bleeding and pouring bile into my abdomen. What kind of hepatitis can I have considering I have never used needles,am not gay, or had multiple sex partners? And, How long do I have to live with the pain and diarrea?

I can’t believe what doctors could be like, putting you off for days while you are having troubles with your condition, this is something that I can never understand! So now you are suffering and you shouldn’t have if you had been given the proper treatment and medical help. I can help you with a few lines about hepatitis, but you immediately have to make an appt with the doctor and prevent the hepatitis to occur, if possible.
The hepatitis could be caused by infections, I believe this is what could be the cause in your case, right? The symptoms you might experience are loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting blood, slight fever, dark urine, light stools etc. In general, these are all the flu-like symptoms.
I just can’t tell you how much time you will need to recover from this, I think the best idea is to search the medical help as this is very much serious. I wish you luck.

Before the surgery my nan was an active woman and run a market stall twice a week, she is popular and was great and loving.
She went in for surgery and was told it was day surgery, she went home for 9 days when my mum said to the doctor i want her to have a check up NOW because he kept puttin her off and saying that she was only taking longer to recover because she was old.
My nan was then rushed to hospital when the paramedics were called out by the doctor, she had scans and they said that it must be leaking by the clip. 3 days after she was sent to hospital a tube was put in and they removed 13 and a half bags of bile from her stomach, because they had left her so long :-( we were all worried because we all love her sooo much, she has 2 children, 8 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild and another on the way. we didnt trust the RoyalBerks Hospital so she was transfered to John Radcliff hospital where the second surgery was formed, they corrected everything and the surgeon told us that not only had rbh sethered the bile duct but they had taken a chunk out of it. The surgeon confessed that this was all due to a mistake in the 1st surgery.
she cant walk now and she looks so old, and frail, during her 2 MONTHS in hospital she has lost 4 stone and has gone from a size 22 to a size 14 or 16. she has a lovely husband who cares for her and loves her is so worried, they have been married for 52 years and he said that he will top himself if anything bad happens to her, he is mentally ill and we are having to drive 1mile twice a day to make sure he is ok. i ride up after school which takes about 30mins and i stay with him for 3 hours so that he's not alone.
she is now recovering in a local hospital and is focussing on trying to menovre, she is still struggling to walk even getting out of bed and getting dressed is a great leap of success to her.
she is still in hospital and we are sueing rbh for negligence and for lying to us and saying everythings fine when it wasnt. im only 14 and it is all a lot for me to take in, how long did it take you to get back on your feet?

I too had a gall bladder removed and the clip to the liver duct had come loose and I spent 3 days telling the doctors something was wrong, finally I went to the emergency room and refused to leave until I was checked totally out. THey found the clip and fixed it but I spent 10 days in ICU and 5 of these days I do not remember, after the fact they told me I almost died from the infection. I feel that more people need to respond to this and just see how many people this happens too.

I too had my gallbladder removed on 7/7/06 and for the first few days I did GREAT but a few days later, I began to get real sick with extreme nausea, dry heaves, throwing up as well as diahrea. I FINALLY got into my surgeon and he said for me to go get a blood test and ultra sound done on my abdomen and so I did and that is when he told me that there was leakage from my liver but then he told me that it should "hopefully" heal itself and time and "mother nature" would be the only thing he felt would help right now. He said it was only an inch in size; therefore, he did not feel a need to do surgery nor drain the fluid. Whatever, right? Well, I just wanted to respond and let folks know I know the feeling...........

:o
Hi, You have been put through H ll! I was too fixing to become a victim to the knife until I researche the whole gallbladder issue. The information I came up with goes back to this: BEWARE... DOCTORS DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE WHAT HAPPENS TO A GALLBLADDER OR REALLY WHAT THE GALLBLADDER IS THERE FOR! So don't let these money hungry surgeons convince you that you NEED surgery. Trust me, I had two that told me to have mine removed and that was two years ago. I am now fine. I treated myslef naturally. Just do you homework. My fraction was 17%..please do not let them tell you "it gets worse" WHAT CROCK OF c**p...EDUCATE yourself. You have the internet now...A POWERFUL TOOL!!!!

In A British court, HOW much money is paid out usually for a gallbladder surgery gone wrong

I'm currently in Litigation and my attorney is saying at best I would get 5 thousand pounds

My husband suffered at the hands of a bad surgery

My husband had a situation where the local hospital did not tell us of any complications during a routine gallbladder surgery. On the discharge form it says No Complications. He was taken to A&E 2 times. First time Triaged 2nd time admitted with bile leaks. Due to it was the weekend we were told Sorry the Ultrasound department is now closed. He had to wait a further 2 days to get treatment. On the monday he was given an ultraound and found he did not have 1 bile leak but 2. I, His wife was told nothing would be done on this day and told to go home for the evening, That evening the hospital took him for futher surgery and did not ring me. My husband, rang me on the next morning and told me himself that he had, had more surgery. That same morning a doctor saw me and explained that he was OK now and would be home in a few days. Which was incorrect. My husband, Nigel had trainage tubes put in his abdomin at the 2nd surgery and was left to heal himself. No problem was fixed yet at that time. The next mornng he was taked to endoscopy and given an ERCP, due to he was so ill they were not able to sedate him well enough and he was tramatized. Being distraught I stood over him and said No more, I then ordered to see anyone of authroity in the hospital and made a real fuss to get him moved to the Hospital in Oxford. Which they did do 4 days later. I did contact the media and tell them about this story and the horror of the treatment I felt my husband had experianced. Then and only then did the Orignal Surgeon come and speak to my husband, Not ever speaking to me. Finally he was moved to another Hospital where he was given many bags of plasma and also another surgery and told he was very ill. He spent 3 days in ICU and then returned to a normal ward. Approx 3 weeks later he was released with tubes outside his body to keep the new tubes that the surgeon at the other hospital had constructed. In December the tubes were removed. In July of 2005 My husband then went threw another surgery to repair a hernia from the orginal surgery.

This has been horrid experiance. I do have an attorney that I've been talking to for the last 2 years. However I am not happy with them. What advice can you give and what is the maximum payout that I can obtain for such a case.

Any websites anyone can give me in refrence to cases won like this. PLEASE help.. Thank You

It has been twenty years since I was diagnosed with gallbladder problems. The pain from this was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life and this includes having had four children. The pain was so excrutiating, I would end up everytime on the floor. I couldnt even speak, and thrown into bouts of profuse sweats of hot and cold. Each time I thought I would die then ended up passing out. The pain is still imprinted in my mind, it seems like only yesterday. Anyway, after ultra sound tests, it was revealed I had a gall bladder filled with stones. I was told there would be no option but to have the GB removed. This operation happended a month or so later. From being wheeled out of recovery, I thought I would die. In the lift back up to the ward, I remember trying to let the nurse know something was wrong, I was forcing myself to moan in order to be heared, and began tugging at her uniform. I remember this having no effect, and then the porter wheeling my trolley saying, 'whats up with her? The nurse replied to him. 'oh she's only reacting to the aneasthetic'. On the ward, I was in agony. It took me hours of agonising pain, and a game of charades, to get the nursing staff to get me a pen and paper so I could slowly write down how I felt. I was quickly seen by the boss of the young surgeon who did the operation, and he ordered immediate xrays of my abdomon, afterwhich I was phsically drained of pints of bile from the drainage tube they had inserted, and was inserted with a shunt which contained morphine, with intrevenus antibiotics etc. Although, this operation was a long time ago, I remeber vividly the pain and trauma like it was yesterday, so much so I have had many , many nightmares. Since my gallbladder removal, I have been left with an hiatus urnia and have divicular desease. I know this is all as a result of neglect and incompetence in carrying out the operation, but then these situations, seemed to be swept under the carpet and everyone closed ranks. Since the gall bladder operation, everything is wrong with me, I am fit for nothing, suffer from fibromyalgia, have no energy or interest in anything. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened to me and why I have suffer with so many illnesses since. Sometimes, being told by someone who understands where I am coming from, could be an aid to the recovery of at least my mind. It is true what someone said earlier, they dont really know what happens to the rest of your body function when the gallbladder has been removed, all I know is it left from being a physically and mentally strong happy woman - to a weak ailing depressed wreck. Maybe things are different now and more is understood about the operation, however, anyone considering having this operation for whatever the reason, should make their decision based on the very best medical information and a choice of technique which suits the patients 'needs'.

I totally agree with your post. It was 3 years ago and I too remember the pain before my surgery but I now have different pain after the surgery and I too am tired all the time, depressed gained tons of weight have chronic diarehea and no one seems to be able to find anything wrong with me. If I knew all this back then I would have thought twice and sought more information before ever having this surgery done again.

I too under went Gall Blader removal March 9, 2006. My surgeron told me maybe this would help me with my diarreah problem. It was Tuesday and he told me he could do the surgery that week if I wanted. I told him great its spring break and I am due to start my final semester of college on Monday. And the one thing I wanted was to be able to sit through my graduation without the worry of having to run potty again. So Thursday we drove all the way to Austin, Texas from San Antonio. Cause I worked in Austin, so that is where my doctors were. It was a quick easy and pretty painless surgery. Went home and instantly began to feel very sick. Throwing up, couldn't eat, massive pain. My boyfriend told me that I was being a wooz cause I had never had surgery since my tubal in 1987. Said that I needed to just rest. I knew it wasn't the case but I decided I would just wait another day. On Saturday I begged him to take me to the ERand he said oh I will call your surgeon and talk to him. Which he did do like 4 times. Every time the surgeon telling him it was all normal. Finally Monday, morning I grabbed him and pleaded PLEASE HELP ME, something is wrong. Finally with anger in his voice he took me to the ER. Where they diagnosed me after 12 hours of test and more test that I had the flu. I was like noooooooooo, I know something is wrong. But I went home anyway. Finally, Tuesday morning I went back to work feeling like a mac truck had run me over. Drove 50 miles to work, then took my lunch went down to the surgerons office with test results from the ER. And begged his nurse to have him see me. Which he did. And instantly I could see concern in his eyes. I was white as a ghost and sick as a dog or 10 dogs. He said where will you be in 15 mins I said back to work what choicce do I have. Fifteen mins later he called and said I think I have cut your liver bile duct and this could be a matter of life and death. I was like OMG. But he said I can't get you in for testing till tomorrow. Wow life or death I thought. Not knowing anything about this bile flowing into my system, I went back to work for the day. Drove home and the next day came back for an ERCP. Which they spent 12 hours trying to get the scope down me but of course cause of the damage to the duct, they were unable to get the scope down to check it out. So they ran an ultrasound and an MRI. Determined yup probably cut liver bile duct. Can you believe they sent me home and said we will call you in the in a few hours. So 1am and 13-14 hours later and 50 miles to drive we went home. At 9am the original surgeon called me said don't go anywhere, I am sending you to the Liver Transplant Hospital in San Antonio. The surgeon from there will be calling you within 15 mins. Which he did. Said do not pass go do not collect $200 get here now. The more walking around you do the more bile leaks into your system. Wow they tell me now after a week of walking around and working and running to ER and the doctor.

So on my way to the hospital I stopped and brought a dress cause I couldn't fit into any clothes, stopped by my school cause they were going to drop me if I didn't sit in my classes the first week. So I had to sit in my class for an hour. Which the teacher said OMG get out of here I will credit you get to the hospital before you die. They said I already looked like death warmed over.

So we got to the hospital thinking ok I be in for a few days and back to school and back to being me again. Was I ever so wrong. Got there on Thursday @ 1pm was admitted to the Liver transplant unit @ 4pm and 9pm they were running an ERCP AGAIN. They felt they were experts at this and hopefully they could tell more from this test. Well 7 hours later and digging down my throat again they failed. So on Friday morning this huge team of doctors came in and said well here is the scoop.

There is a 3 case scenario here going to happen.
1) No biggie small surgery go home next day
2) Little worse bigger surgery and go home in a few days
3) Worse case scenario massive major reconstructive insides and go home in about a month.

Well Saturday morning came. And in came the team of doctors. And unfortunately they didn't have good news for me Said that the worse case scenario is what I will be facing. So on Monday a hepaticojejunostomy (Roux-Y) was the method of repair. I was in the hospital for almost a month. $180k plus in bills. And since then I am exhausted. Didn't get to graduate in the semester I had worked so hard for. But I did graduate the following September instead of June. But since my parents had just come to Texas for my surgery in case I died. They were unable to come for my graduation, which was devasting to me.

And what really throws salt into my wounds, is that the doctor who performed the originally surgery sent me to collections for $166.20. Can you freaking believe that.

I lost my job, my insurance, my graduation date, my sense of humor. I am angry and tired all the time. I am not the person I was prior to my surgery. And depression sat in so bad I tried to commit suicide. To find out that depression is a complication of major surgery.

I have finally found an attorney out Houston, Texas that is more about people than he is money. Cause with the new tort reform act the cap on any malpractice lawsuit is $250k and with $180k in medical bills the other attorneys tell me it isn't financially feasible for them to take my case.

So how was your year?

Susan Heeres In Schertz, Texas

hey u guyz thanks for your help with science i relly learned from u guyz once again thank you very much!!!

hi all 3 years ago i had keyhole surgery for removel of gall bladder, discharged within 24 hours. felt o k for a few days then felt nauseas and no appetite on 4th day post op woke up at 6am with horendous abdominal pain enough to dial 999 , admitted to hospital where initially diagnosed with constipation treated for same with 6 enemas and numerous medication for same. unable to bend at all spent 4 days in a chair with a drip oxygen and a urinary catheter plus a naso gastric tube, pleading for analgesia , some ultrasound and a few xrays., eventually taken to theatre where 500 ml of bile found in abdominal cavity , woke up 4 days later in high dependency unit. common bile duct had been damaged at surgery. developed jaundiced referred to a specialist unit had surgery to repair common bile duct, life now totally changed , weight loss indigestion poor quality of life contracted MRSA on two occassions in two different hospitals worked in the health service for 30 years , now require more surgery for ? adhesions but very reluctant to further intervention.

I can't believe that I am reading all of these types of conditions for gall bladder surgery. My husband is 59 and had a tumor removed 1 1/2 years ago and it was a 13 hour surgery compared to the gall bladder and the pain and suffering it has caused him since it was a piece of cake to have the tumor out. The pain was bad enough but being jerked around by the Doc. and going back and forth into the hospital and the bills that just keep coming are out ragious. Where is it that things have gotten this bad and Doc's just don't care like they used to. We are still dealing with the after affects of the surgery and now think that there is something wrong with his liver, like pool of fluid or possibly something else, not end in sight. It was mentioned that a bile duct or the liver might have been snipped so now two months later and two CT scans, thousands of dollars plus co-pays time off of work and extreme pressure it is more than a person should have to deal with. I do hope that someone starts collecting on some of the trauma that is caused by the Docs and the hospitals, it has to stop.

I also had my gallbladder removed a few weeks ago, two days after it was removed I began vomiting and having extreme pain in my abdomen. I was admitted into the hospital and thus began the most nightmarish ten daysof my life. My common duct was leaking bile and I had to have two billitubes inserted to drain my body of the bile. I got pancreatitis, coded on the table when they attempted to insert a stent to redirect the bile and even developed pneumonia. Before you get gallbladder surgery makesure that you are educated about all of the possible risks. I was never told that this was a possibility and based just on internet research I can see that it happens far too often.

I had my gallbladder removed 2 days ago, and now I have nose bleeds. I called the surgeon, got his answering service, told the woman, and she replied, "he is a colon, rectal surgeon". I could not believe my ears. I said, "Listen, I did not have a nosebleed before the surgery". She took my name and numer. The surgeon called me, I told him what was happening. He replied, the air is dry, put ice there. I said, "could I be bleeding internally? HE REPLIED: 'I DON'T KNOW'!!!

He brushed me off and that was the end of the conversation. Please tell me what I should do from here. I am scared.