My 13 month old son has had very pale yellow colored stool for 12 days. No matter what he eats it remains same color and is sometimes filled with mucus. We think it started as a stomach virus. Movements are not as often but still strange color, consistency and odor. Any idea what could be causing this? Appetite has been lax as well.

I am having the same thing with my 13 month old son--a few days ago he vomited, his appetite has been less than usual, although what most would still consider normal. He has also been sleeping more--went to bed the other day at 3:30 pm, didn't eat any dinner. I woke him at 10pm to give him a bottle of milk. He drank it them went back to sleep until 7:30 am. He went to bed today at 4pm, again no dinner--he's still sleeping, and I am expecting to have to wake him again this evening. I don't see that you received a response to your question, but I am a nurse and was concerned enough with the pale yellow, almost white, stools that I called my pediatrician. I was told not to worry, I could bring him in if it would make me feel better. The drs. office told me if it was a problem with the liver then the stool would be as white as chalk. So now I am just waiting. If there is no change in the color or his eating/sleeping pattern by Monday I will be insisting on lab work to be sure there is no problem.

Hi.

Those are the cases when you need to visit your doctor. It is not a smart idea to try to heal this on your own because there are numerous of causes for yellow stool.

Every symptom that he has is something that can happen and it usually result in yellow, pale stool. Anyway, a reduction or absence of salt is usually the main reason that causes the stool to become yellow or pale. That sometimes can be connected with severe liver disease such as hepatitis or cirrhosis. 

I really hope that this is not a case for your little boy because he definitely would need to have some therapy to control this. 

I've had a liver disease (PSC) for over 16 years. The first signs I have when my liver disease is acting up is Very light clay colored stool. It doesn't have to be chalk white. The stool is light colored due to a lack of bile in it. I usually have a bile duct restriction going on when this happens. Has your child been itchy, or had any yellowing? I would definitely have your child checked out. You know them best, and what is normal for them. If it is a liver problem, you want to get it fixed soon. I hope this little bit of info helped. If you have any other questions let me know.

I would like to know what kind of liver problem is this and what did you do to get better also did you have any issues with body odor or anal leakage? I m ot sure what I have but I have been suffering for 10 months with excessive body odor tummy aches abdominal aches and yellow stools onlyonce did I see a pale almost yellow/greyish stool but after reading your thread I mso terrified now that I may have liver problem..