Hello. I’m 45 year old men and I have never had any problems with my gastro-intestine system. Every since I can remember I had a good appetite and regular stool.
Recently, I have noticed that my stool is changed in some way. First I have noticed change in color. My stool became very dark, almost black. I didn’t pay too much attention on it because I thought it was caused by some specific type of food.
But, after a few days, I have also noticed that my stool is constantly thin.
I don’t know what could cause this. My friend, who is studying medicine, told me it could be something serious and that I should contact my gastrologist immediately! What should I do? What results should I suspect?

Hi. My wife had similar problems so, I know a bit about it. First of all, I must say that your friend is absolutely right.
The cause of your thin stool could be something very serious as colon cancer. It usually cause thin stool with no pain, what so ever.
Of course, some benign conditions like colon polyps could also cause this kind of symptoms.
All thou, it is a quite mystery for me-why do you have black stool.
Colon cancer does not cause change of color in your stool, accept if it is bleeding but you would have a fresh blood in your stool.
Black stool is usually caused by some bleeding in upper parts of you digestive system like perforated ulcer.
So, don’t loose any more minute, contact your GP immediately and find out what is the real cause of your problem, so you can start with appropriate therapy!