I'm so glad I read this post. I had my Mirena IUD in for a little over 5 years & knew it was time to have it taken out because I had a regular (regular is long for me) period. I had mine taken out 5 days ago & I am bleeding so heavily that I had gone out to the store & by the time I made it back I could feel it running down my leg in my jeans. I had NO clue this would happen. There was no warning given by the doctor so I was about ready to go to the hospital. With all the really heavy bleeding & large clots...I thought I was going to bleed out or something! I'm sitting up in a chair now, scared to lay back down because I just had to wash sheets after having a tampon in for about 15 to 20 minutes. THIS IS CRAZY!!!

These forums are interesting, some good benefits/some bad.  I had one fitted primarily for fibroids.  This was fitted in early 2011.  I have since been made aware in Autum 2012, that the only fibroid visible is below 1cm (I had several which must have dissolved).

The coil or should I say the hormone stuff in it has unfortunately played havoc on another health issue.  It may be a gamble but I am seriously considering looking at having it removed.  There could be a risk of severe bleeding so would have to think about this carefully.  There is if anyone is interested a medication called Transamic(sp) acid which is brilliant for stemming blood flow.

My question to put out is what have people used instead of the coil.  I am thinking about the injection but just wanted to put the feelers out.

Thanks

I have read all the posts on here and have had problems too.I am 54 had a mirena fitted because of heavy periods five years ago.Had all the side effects,but didnt want to go back to heavy periods but i had it removed last friday and have bled heavily and ad blood clots and stomach cramps since sunday painkillers dont help.Anyone thinking of trying the coil DON'T

Hi I had the merina coil fitted in about 8 months ago and it had fell out two days ago, now I keep bleeding heavy and I want to know if its common? But how do I get this to carm down! I wouldn't advise anyone to go on the coil, its fine when its in, but when its out too much complications as this is my second coil that has fell out... Can someone give me some advise please x

Had Mirena Coil fitted for painful periods as well as trying to reduce the fibroid. Had to have coil removed after 3 months due to coil being pushed down due to fibriod being in the endometrial cavity. Since August 2013 I have suffered from heavy bleeding called the 'withdrawal'. it has left me anaemic, and having to use Mefanamic, Tranexamic, and Norethisterone regularly. I have been advised not to have the coil refitted, instead go to the Gynacologist for further examination. It is now November, just a few hours ago I came back from my Local A&E department due to heavy bleeding ,that soaked my jogging pants, duvet, by the time I woke up. The sharpness of this pain is what really gets me. I am left with little mobility and had to walk at a snails pace to pick up my prescription. My A&E said they will try to put forward my appointment with the Gyno. Due to the fibriod I may need an Op but that has not been confirmed yet.

Omg. I had same symptoms. I had the coil removed after 5 years . Had a small period with little bleeding after removal then 2 months later heavy bleeding, aching bones, mood swings, feel awful. Thought I was anemic as lost a lot of blood. Had blood tests to get hormone levels and iron levels. Results come tomorrow.

Hi, I had my mirena coil removed 5 days ago (10/02/15 and am experiencing the same, bright red blood and clots, I am wondering how long this will go on before I need to see a Dr or nurse? I had a coil for 13 years, changed every 5 obviously, and had it removed due to bloating and stomach and back pain, I am 50 years old, any advice please?

I have had the exact same hope ur ok now but could u please let me know what happened after a week coz I'm still bleeding a week later so scared x

Had my mirena coil removed December 16th as advised by GP for breakthrough bleeding, I am 53 and had hoped this coil would remain in situ until I had passed the menopause. This was my second mirena coil 11years in total, I had no complaints when it was in and I had no periods for that time, prior to which my periods had been heavy. However following removal in December I had a fairly heavy bleed which lasted for 11 days then nothing until February 14th when I bled so heavily and passed numerous large clots I continued to bleed although fairly heavy nothing as bad as this weekend when I have bled so heavily I wondered if i should go to hospital, so 16 days so far and still bleeding I am hopefully seeing my GP tomorrow has anyone else experienced this 2months after removal?

Hi,I had my marina coil removed 2days ago after having it in for nearly 2yrs,had it put in due to heavy prolonged periods!today I have experienced heavy bleeding and clotting also!I'm hoping it doesn't go on for wks,I wasn't advised of bleeding or anything really!so not a happy bunny

Had mine removed last Thursday and I'm losing lots of blood and clots which is why I'm on here to see if it's normal

Hi, I had coil removed 6 days ago, 2 days later I started bleeding an awful amount with clots. It's getting worse on day 4 it is pouring a considerable amount. I have used 76 sanitary towels as need 2 super at a time to still bleed through them. Getting really concerned now. Is this normal??

i had the mirena removed 3 days agohave be bleeding heavy since i am 62 post menapausel should not have had it fited is this normal after removel

I had my mirena coil removed a month ago and since thursday iv been bleeding really heavy and clotting I am also an anaemic is this normal cos im scared :(

I only had it for one month and didn't stop bleeding so I had it removed. Dr said your bleeding will stop after one or two days if it doesn't come and get some antibiotics. I went after 2 and half days to Dr and got antibiotics. On 2nd day of 3 day course and it is heavier than ever. I just want it to stop! I should have stuck to the pill but he made this sound so good