Hello! My father went to his cataract surgery few days ago. His doctor told him he would feel certain discomfort or itching after the surgery. I went with him since I was told he was not going to be able to drive his car after the surgery and I took good care of him. Yesterday he was in a lot of discomfort and I decided to take him to his doctor who told us he was bleeding behind the eye. How is this possible?

Hello! Cataract surgery is considered safe but as all surgeries it carries certain risk. The most common complications are infections and bleeding. Bleeding behind the retina is uncommon after cataract surgery and since your father had surgery few days ago this sounds really strange. Bleeding sometimes occurs during the surgery because fragile blood vessels burst during the surgery and it can lead to loss of vision. I think you should ask for a second opinion.

Hi Jeanie

How is father doing now? what happen to internal bleeding? My mom had issue in bleeding while they started the cataract surgery , so need to stop the surgery immediately. So really worried please reply the thread.

i had cataract surgery and imediatly after i could not see out of that eye, they told me i had wet macular degeneration could i develope that during cataract surgery? that has been about six months and every thing i lookat is wiggly--distorted.

My aunt had cataracts surgery a couple of weeks ago and the doctor immediately had to stop because of bleeding behind her eye. He didn't tell her anything and told her to go go home and he would see her again the next day. She went to her primary care physician instead and wouldn't even look at her and immediately referred her to Mass eye in Boston. She has been seen there twice and they too have told her nothing! I wanted to know how others who have posted are now and what if anything they were told. My aunts vision is now VERY poor and she can't drive, she is seeing double and blurry. Just want to know if it has gotten better for anyone and any information you can provide would be so helpful because she is really afraid and her doctors aren't telling her anything. Thank you!

How is vision of your Mom now? My mother had unsuccessful catract surgery on 15th feb 2012. According to the doctor, he had to stop the surgery as bleeding started. There is no vision in his eye.

Is there any possiblity of getting the vision again?

Chandra

My mother had cataract sugery she is 76yrs old, she was able to see but had some vision problems. She use to enjoy doing crossword puzzles, bird watching as well as watching her wrestling. She can no longer enjoy what she use to she cannot see. There is something going on with all these cataract surgery. Its no right for these people to trust these doctors can come out with distorted vision or even blind.

Is it common to find blood clots behind one eye after 1 year following cataract surgery? I had problems with both surgeries and now the doctor referred me to my family doctor for a duplex scan and said it has to do with arteries in my neck a possible stroke warning signal. I lost vision in left eye for 30 seconds, now head aches and floaters. The other eye has detached from the jelly, but not retina yet. Is this a heart or eye problem?