Hello! My grandfather had a cataract surgery last year. He recovered really fast after the surgery. I remember he had only mild discomfort for few days and ten went back to his everyday activities. His vision was fine but yesterday he told me he had cataract again. How is this possible? Could cataract occur again following cataract surgery? I thought cataract surgery solved his vision's problems forever.

Hello! Yes it is possible. It is called second cataract or after cataract or posterior capsule opacification (PCO). It can develop months or years after cataract surgery. The second cataract occurs when the back of lens capsule becomes cloudy and impairs vision. The treatment is simple and safe. It is a laser technique which lasts few minutes. Your grandfather will stay at the doctor's office for an hour to make sure his eye pressure doesn't increase and he will go home afterwards.