Hello! My grandfather suffers fro cataract on his both eyes. His surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. I thought his both eyes would be treated at the same time but his doctor said the only one eye would be under surgical procedure and then after some time the other. My mother says there is a risk of retinal detachment following cataract surgery. Is this true?

Hello! Cataract surgery is considered safe and complications are rare but they can still occur as in any other surgery. Detachment of retina, infection, bleeding and swelling are serious complications of cataract surgery which may occur. If symptoms such as pain which is not relieved by medications, loss of vision, nausea and vomiting are noticed after the surgery an ophthalmologist should be contacted immediately.

Hi there,
Cataract surgery is very common these days and you have to know that this is very effective surgery. It doesn’t last too long and the recovery is not too complicated. Also you have to understand that every procedure has possible complications. I know that potential and the most common difficulties arising after surgery are persistent inflammation, changes in eye pressure, infection, and swelling of the retina. SO the retinal detachment is a possible complication after the surgery. However your grandfather will be monitored after the surgery so if anything goes wrong the doctors will not and they will prevent it. I hope this helped you in any way.

Best wishes,
Marco