Hello! My grandmother has a cataract. Her doctor recommended a surgery since her vision is rather damaged. She has symptoms such as blurry and foggy vision, double vision and poor night vision. She is afraid of the surgery although her eye doctor told her it would be safe and easy. She is also afraid that surgery may be unsuccessful. What can happen if a cataract surgery does not work?

Hello! Cataract surgery is one of the most successful procedures in all of medicine. More then 98% of cataract surgeries are successfully completed without surgical complications. If your grandmother has decided to have the cataract surgery she has to think positively. Once a cataract has been removed it cannot return. Over time your grandmother may complain that her vision has once again become cloudy. This condition is known as a secondary cataract can be easily treated by a simple laser procedure performed in the office.

I had cataract surgery on June 10, 2013. It didn't work, the eye collapsed requiring a second surgery two days later to clean up the eye area.  I did see another eye specialist who did a third surgery on July 24, 2013 and a new lens was glued in place.  It is still early in the process but there are days that my eye is cloudy and I have a hard time seeing.  In my other eye I wear a contact but my vision is not even close.