Hello! My brother will have his cataract surgery tomorrow. I know this surgery will improve his vision but I am also afraid of the possible complications. I will go with him tomorrow since his doctor told him he will not be able to drive his car. I will also take care of him the next few days. I know he shouldn’t bend or lift heavy things. What are possible complications of cataract surgery?

Hello! Cataract surgery is very safe and complications are rare but they can still occur. Serious complications of cataract surgery are infection, bleeding, swelling and detachment of retina. If you notice symptoms such as pain which is not relieved by medications, loss of vision, nausea and vomiting you should call your brother’s ophthalmologist immediately. It is very important to act as soon as possible to decrease the possibility of vision damage due to complications.