Hello! My father has been diagnosed a cataract a year ago. His cataract progressed rapidly in the last two months and since the symptoms became serious his doctor recommended a surgery. He has never been to any surgery at all and he is very afraid. He is afraid he may lose his vision during the surgery. Is surgery only option for removing a cataract?

Hello! Fear of vision loss is one of the greatest fears in elderly people. I think your father has very little information about the cataract surgery and that is why he is so afraid. The surgery is very safe and complications are really rare. Your father will go home the same day and he will feel vision improvement immediately. The surgery is the only and the best option.

Hallo,
The fact is that cataract is very problematic because it can lead to blindness and if it isn’t treated on time things can get complicated very fast. Not your doctor suggested the right thing for your father. There are options of wearing glasses and to have better lighting in the house but surgery is the only solution that will help him to lose his vision completely. You have to understand also that this is nothing to worry about because surgery is done very fast and it is very effective. How old is your father and how long has he been having these problem? I hope this helped a bit.

All the best to you,
Karen