Hello! My grandfather is eighty years old and he has cataract. At first he was not able to see well at night; he had blurry vision and colors seemed faded. He started to wear sunglasses during the day which was very strange for him. I know that old people often have cataract but I would like to know how cataract forms in the first place.

Hello! Cataract is a clouding of the lens in the eye that affects vision. Most of them are related to aging and they are very common in older people. Cataract needs to be removed when vision loss interferes with everyday activities. Age-related cataracts develop in two ways: clumps of protein reduce the sharpness of the image reaching the retina and the clear lens slowly changes to a yellow/brown color, adding a brownish tint to vision.

Well,
It is unfortunate that your grandfather has this problem in the first place. I will try to explain in simple words why cataract happens. Cataract is so called clouding of the clear lens in your eye. Clouded vision caused by cataracts can make it more difficult to read or see the expression on a friend's face. If I am not mistaking cataract scatters the light as it passes through the lens, preventing a sharply defined image from reaching your retina. As you can see this is not a simple thing but there are treatment options for it. Is your grandfather going to have a surgery to remove this condition form his eyes?

All the best,
Nelie