My uncle, mother’s brother has been diagnosed with bone cancer metasis. I didn’t understand everything because I don’t understand cancer at all. Supposedly, they found bone cancer metasis although the cancer started in the prostate. I am very confused. What is cancer, and how does prostate cancer lead to bone cancer? Thank you

To understand the difference between cancer and cancer metastases, you need to understand what cancer is. You know that every organ in the body is made of cells. Well, some of the cells may start growing and dividing very fast and form tumors. These cells that had rapidly divided may grow into adjacent tissue, which represent cancer. However, these cells can also migrate through distant places traveling through blood and invade other tissues as well. When prostate cancer invades bones, it is still called prostate cancer because it is where the cells division started but it is also called prostate cancer with bone metastases. This is not the same as bone cancer. Bone cancer would be the cancer that started in the bones and it differs from bone metastases. I hope you could understand what I wanted to explain. Bone cancer metastases may hurt a lot and it may also prevent the sufferer from performing their usual activities and lifestyle.

The body is made up of hundreds of millions of living cells. Normal body cells grow, divide, and die in an orderly fashion. During the early years of a person's life, normal cells divide faster to allow the person to grow. Cancer begins when cells in a part of the body start to grow out of control. There are many kinds of cancer, but they all start because of out-of-control growth of abnormal cells.

If the disease has reached clinical stagei T3 or T4, it is classified as advanced Prostate cancer[/url]. Advanced prostate cancer with bone metastasis or lymph node metastasis is more likely to cause Prostate Cancer Symptoms than is an early stage of the disease. Metastasis occurs through a process called angiogenesis. Angiogenesis is the process by which new blood vessels are formed; malignant cells are capable of ‘hitching a ride’ into another part of the body. The malignant cells can commonly become lodged in the bones or lymph nodes. From there, the cells “take root” and start dividing uncontrollably.

Primary cases of bone cancer are relatively rare. Patients who develop bone cancer are more likely to develop the disease as a result of advanced prostate cancer metastasis. In prostate cancer, extension leading to bone disease is designated by a clinical stage M1b. If a person develops bone disease as a result of prostate cancer, he does not now have bone cancer. Because the cancer is classified according to where it originated, he has prostate cancer with bone metastasis.