I have heard for many cases where babies had problem with jaundice. I wonder if that is something serious and should mother report it to baby’s doctor. I have a baby, which is why I am so much worried. I want to hear more about this problem called breastfeeding jaundice. Can you tell me what does it actually mean and is it serious problem?

Breastfeeding jaundice may occur in the first week of life in more than 1 in 10 breastfed infants. The main cause is thought to be inadequate milk intake, which lead to dehydration or low caloric intake. Breast milk jaundice, as one more type is far less common and occurs in about 1 in 200 babies. In this case, the jaundice is not usually visible until the baby is a week old. It often reaches its peak during the second or third week of baby’s life. Breast milk jaundice can be caused by substances in mom's milk that decrease the infant’s liver ability to deal with chemical substance called bilirubin. I want to tell you that breast milk jaundice rarely causes any problems, whether it is treated or not. It is usually not a reason to stop nursing, but still you have to report it to baby’s doctor. To prevent it, you should feed babies frequently and do not let it become dehydrated. Important is to report this problem to the doctor, because early identification and treatment of jaundice will usually prevent kernicterus, whatever the cause is.
Beyond this, jaundice is a symptom of other problems that have their own prevention strategies, so talk to doctor if there is any doubt about breastfeeding jaundice with your baby.