I have a baby that is diagnosed with jaundice. I was very sad when I have heard it, but now I realized everything should be well. I have a friend whose son experienced the same. He old me sunlight helps to break down bilirubin so that a baby's liver can process it more easily. However, I still want to hear more about jaundice, how the doctors treat this problem.

Placing a child in a well-lit window for 10 minutes twice a day is often all that is needed to help cure mild jaundice, as I believe your child experienced. Important is to take care never to place an infant in direct sunlight. If the bilirubin level is too high, the child may need to be placed under a special type of light to treat jaundice. This treatment is called phototherapy, and sometimes, such lights can be set up at your home with careful monitoring. The doctor together with the parent's help will decide to begin a child on phototherapy. If an infant's bilirubin levels are very high or if the child appears ill, the baby will most likely be admitted to the hospital for jaundice treatment. However, the jaundice is most often treated with phototherapy. This involves placing the baby on a warmer beneath special lights, and these lights are able to penetrate a baby’s skin and affect the bilirubin within the child. The light changes bilirubin into lumirubin, which is easily handled by the baby's body, which is improving its condition. This jaundice treatment may seem much like a visit to a local tanning booth. Commonly special goggles or a shade is placed over the baby's eyes to shield them from the lights.