I am 19yrs old with a 4 month old baby girl.
I dont do drugs, but one night i had a line of crystal meth, very silly decision, and then had to breastfeed my daughter an hour and a half later..
This was worst decision ever! i would never ever do drugs again but am really worried and would like to know if this could have seriously effected her and are there any long term effects from just this one time?
I know that it would have passed through my breastmilk but would just like to know if she will be ok from just that one time?
thanks

To be honest...I don't know....I know I am not very helpful in this partcular situation but just wanted to let you know that my friend used speed in the first trimester because she thought she was going to terminate the pregnancy. However she was unable to do so and she gave birth to a beautiful, healthy girl. SO far, no health consequences except from regular colds and sneezes but that's the same for every small child.

i stopped takin speed wen i found out i was pregnant after i had my gorgeous girl i breastfed on the odd occasion i took speed but i expressed first but once i had to breatfeed after i was worried but she was fine i wouldnt worry to much but if u do drugs again express milk first or give her formula milk thats wot i did

What the hell are you doing...doing any drugs when you have a baby to take care of. It is not only the fact that the baby can be hurt physically by your using..but if you get arrested bc you get caught at that party where the meth was or if you get killed in a car wreck bc your high you will NEVER see your baby anyway.

Instead of tryitn to do the latest drug out there why dont you grow up and take care of your kid. This makes me SICK.

i take drugs on the odd occasion and i drink most weekends a smoke a little weed...i genraly express my milk for the nite you are on it, the next day and that nite so a good 24hours afer you have finished taking the drugs...i throw that milk down the sink and i feed my one month old formula...for the whole time so if i took drugs yesterday at 2pm i wouldn't breastfeed untill..12pm the next day..expressing and throughing out..this just helps keep your supply up..for when bubba goes back on the breast alowing for enough milk to be full....

as for the lady above me saying get over it and grow up why did you even look up this website if you dont get on it???...we are all young and shouldn't have to miss out on the odd weekend of getting on it.LADYS you can still have a life as long as your baby is in a safe area and not around smoking (smoke out side) stay at home if your nevers aobut driving..or odd hours of the moring...

I'm sorry but for people like Williams, why in the hell does God give them the gift of having a child. Hopefully when someone chooses to bring an innocent child into the world, they are mature enough to grow up and act like a parent and not a stupid little immature b***h. Wake up honey life isn't about you and having fun, but life is about your child!!!! Maybe the reason Emily looked up this site is the same reason why I did, because one of our family members is stupid enough to use meth while breastfeeding. My sister wants to argue that that only .2% of the meth enters the baby through the breastmilk, if so, why the hell would you want any to enter into your baby???!!! To answer your question Sammy, at least you have the brains to admit that you made a very stupid decision, but yes crystal meth can hurt a child while breastfeeding...read the article about the Sacramento mother who is being charged with murder because she breastfed while using meth and her baby died from the exposure and I have witnessed with my own eyes how meth effects a breastfed baby. My sisters baby only grows hair on one side of her head (brain damage) and sometimes she refuses to open her eyes (over sensitivity to light).

I agree that you should definitely blow off some steam every once in awhile since you've had kids because that's key to maintaining your sanity. But unfortunately once you have a child, your life is mostly about your child. I think that the mature thing to do would be to lay off drugs until you're done breast feeding because studies have shown that moms who breastfeed have healthier kids than babies on formula. So long as you're responsible, I definitely don't judge what you're doing. Does that make sense?

I'm a young mother of a 3 year old and a 1 month old and I just can't get over what you guys are writing ... GROW up and take responsibility for the lifes you have created ... I'm not saying you have to stay in the whole time but co
e on can't you wait alittle more time while your breastfeeding ???? And if no then don't bloody breadtfeed give formula for god sake taking drugs then breastfeeding what are you thinking ??!! You owe it to your child to give them the best start in life and that for sure isn't giving the drug filled milk !!! You should be realy ashamed .... O drank and smoked pot until I was 5 weeks pregnant but i did not know I was pregnant and I stopped straight away .. And if you think that just because your pummping your milk it dosent get ride off all the alcohol or canabis ( do you realise how long weed stays in your system ?? )

you all still have timd to party have fun ect just wait till you have stopped breastfeeding !!!
You give young mothers a bad name !!!!

Wow...some of you are a bit judgemental aren't you? What kind of mother calls a young mother a bad mother? Cannibis remains in the system for 7 days and speed up to 4 days. Tupac was born a crackbaby, read up on his achievements!!!

Let's at least answer with some decency. It was an honest question. I have worked as a Foster Mom with Meth babies. It breaks my heart that they have struggles all their lives because their moms chose to stay addicted and not get help. Microcephaly, brain damage, ADD, inability to bond, mental health, learning disability, you name it, meth does horrible damage to both mother and child. The studies show that breast milk can stay contaminated up to 48 hours after use. Pump and dump. Another question though is whether the mom is in the right state of mind once she has used to care for the needs of her infant. Neglecting your baby because you are high creates abandonment issues for your baby. When you stop using, eye contact, hugging, snuggling paying close attention to whether you have left them in an unsafe environment while on drugs, attending to prolonged wear of poopy and wet diapers... Ladies it is not worth the "fun" you are having to endanger your babies. Please seek help.

This girl was asking for advice, not an opinionated attack. If you don't have any answer to the actual question asked dont bother commenting. U make me SICK, get a life.

Don't u think its abit out of line to be dishing out remarks on a topic u know nothing about!!!!! Don't judge people. I am a mother of 2 and I also used cat a few days ago while breastfeeding. I do feel guilty about it but at the end of the day we have our choices. I am not breastfeeind for 2 days just to be sure nothing stays in my milk. We do what we do but we are careful so please lady get a life and don't talk about things u know nothing about

Wow I can't believe what I am reading! Being a young mother does not give any of you an excuse to keep partying and using drugs like you did before kids. Maybe you shouldn't be having kids if they are my your top priority and doing a little meth is obviously irresistible to you. Oh those poor babies, grow up girls and get your sh** together.

I was on it, was a social thing with my friends ,found it hard to stop ... took me too have him in my arms to stop. Now I'm clean and gave up ciggy's too ...and have a healthy baby he was 2weeks early and was 8 pound 8oz . So to you people judging, no one is perfect and we all try things we know are bad and in this day and age, a lot of people are using. . . It's that ones that can't handle there sh*t and go crazy and take it day in day out are the ones that make it look bad for every one else ..

Does it make a difference how you do it for how long it takes to leave your breast milk? and if you are not able to pump at all does it stay in there? also does it matter how many days in a row you do it for timing either?