I have a baby and I cannot believe this is happening to her. I know I had problems with constipation, but she is so young for this kind of problem. Is that normal, that I have noticed her stool is firmer, and harder sometimes? I see she is in pains and she cannot be emptied. I do not know what to do, can you tell me more about baby constipation.

Baby constipation is a condition where stools become firmer and harder, as you explained. Your child will be troubled or in pain when they need to empty their bowels, I guess that is, the best way you will notice there is something wrong. Beside this, you might notice that the bowels will not be emptied as often as usual. Breastfed babies have several helpful types of bacteria in their large intestine. Those bacteria are capable of breaking down some of the otherwise indigestible proteins in milk. As a result, breastfed baby’s stools are softer, making bowel movements easier. Breastfed babies also have higher levels of a hormone called Motiline that increases the movement of the bowels, which means they rarely get such a problems. Once your baby becomes constipated, it can be the start of a vicious circle. This is because it will hurt your baby to pass the large hard stools. Sometimes even cracks around the anus may appear, and these may start to bleed and cause more pain. To avoid the pain, your baby may subconsciously start holding back stools, and that makes the food stay longer in the large intestine. There are several ways to help your baby so you should ask your doctor for an advice.

if the baby is old enough, try giving him/her some yogurt and or juice