I have a friend who pretends to know all about medicine. Lately we talk something about jaundice and he said this is the same term for icterus. This does not sound the same to me so I want to know if that is true. I have to admit actually I do not know what is jaundice and why does it occur. I would appreciate any info about this, because now I have to know.

Jaundice is a yellow color noticed on body, specifically in the skin, the mucous membranes, or the eyes. The yellow pigment is from bilirubin, which is a byproduct of old red blood cells. Jaundice can be caused by too many red blood cells retiring, by the liver being overloaded or damaged, or by the inability to move processed bilirubin from the liver. This last process should be done through the biliary tract to the gut. Most babies have some jaundice during the first week of life, because the ordeal of birth can send many red blood cells to an early retirement. That is why babies’ livers are often unprepared for the load. Jaundice is even more common in premature babies, but this is just one type of jaundice called physiologic jaundice, which is the name for normal jaundice commonly seen in healthy babies. Another type is pathologic jaundice, which is the name given when jaundice presents a health risk. It could happen either because of its degree or because of its cause, and it can occur in children or adults. Just to tell you more that jaundice has different terms, such as yellow skin and eyes, icterus, and each is termed for the same problem.
Beyond this, jaundice is a symptom of other problems that have their own prevention strategies, so talk to doctor if there is any doubt about breastfeeding jaundice with your baby.

:O there are not enough infomation axplain about juandice