My daughter is 14 weeks old and is solely breastfed. She was having numerous bowel movements until she was 6-7 weeks old. I know this is completely normal, however she started to scream/cry whenever she was due for a bowel movement.

After wiping some cream on her bottom, she pooed and was really happy afterwards. So unfortunately I kept "helping" her with this, thinking she will improve. She still needs help otherwise she just screams for hours on end.

I know breastfed babies don't usually become constipated and I doubt she is (her stools are nearly always normal) however she has quite a lot of "skidmarks" and every couple of days she will have a jelly like stool, or a foamy frothy sort of one along with her normal bird seed type stools.

Coloxyl drops help, she will have a bowel movement on her own, however its really hard to get the drops into her as she seems to regurgitate anything other than breastmilk from a breast.

Can anyone help me with this? The doctors seem to be pushing me away saying breastfed babies don't get constipated and they can last up to 8 or so days without a bowelmovement.

This is all fine and dandy, however my baby is in PAIN. Whenever I help her go, she is happy and contented afterwards.

No offense but your doctor is an id**t. Who would want to go 8 days without a bm? Keep helping her like your doing....your actually probably stimulating the rectum muscles. I remember when my daughter was constipated my Italian relatives suggested I stick a small amount of parsley in olive oil up her bum to get her going.....It worked. Also consider what your eating, are they alot of constipating foods...wheat, potato, bread etc? Remember although it's processed through your body she's still geting our famous "westernized diet" and that's not really good for anyone little own a baby. Get some baby suppositories for those difficult days. And remember if she has probs now they may get worse in the future.....so nows the time to set the standard.....no junk foods, cultivate a love of veggies and fruit and get her moving when she's able(exercise). It's normal for a babe to poop everyday; and don't forget docs know medicine not nutrition....they're good for her ear/nose/throat infections but the rest is pretty much up to us. :-)

Thanks for the encouragement. I didn't know if helping her was like a crutch and she will rely on me to always help her or not.

Doctors are really annoying me. My eldest daughter was born with her bowels on the outside (they were put in soon after birth and have had no problems with her since). I do believe they think I am transferring symptoms or I'm a paranoid mother because of what I have been through already, hence they are practically ignoring me.

I have taken out most processed foods with spices in it, as that was causing her pain months ago. I am practically on meat and three veg for dinner every night. I'm not a bread eater, but love my cereal in the morning and have pasta every 4 days. I try to snack on fruit during the day so I eat fairly healthily. I'm not a junk food fan.

Could dairy products be causing it? I drink a lot of milk and don't think I could live without it :-(

Once again, thanks for your help.

It could be milk or any a number of things....most likely a heredity thing that you'll have to keep your eye on. Probably a good time to investigate the family tree and see what your in for.
As for milk, you can try different milks such as goat milk(actually pretty good and they say it's easier to digest), there's also rice, potato, almond etc milks. My son is severely allergic to milk although there's no obvious symptoms; he has been tested by a reputable lab. He has to stay off of milk and milk products for life!
It's interesting that you said, "I don't think i could live without it", often those kind of strong words are reserved for things like...chocolate, cigarettes, alcohol, coffee, candy etc ....all addictive type substances. Just something to think about.....my son was very addicted to milk products and was very moody and irritable when I removed it from his diet.
Docs can give useful advice but ultimately "you" are the pro and don't doubt yourself as truly your family/friends are the advocates for your children. :-)

My grandson is having a terrible time with his bowel movements and gas. The doctor said give him diluted prune juice, but that makes the gas worse. Is there any home remedy that can help him? He's in such pain. The doctor gave a prescription, but that doesn't seem to be working either.

Quote:

No offense but your doctor is an id**t. Who would want to go 8 days without a bm?

It actually is normal for breastfed babies to go a week or more without a bowl movement. Breast milk leaves little waste so there's very little to be expelled.
Of course if you're baby is in discomfort you should follow it up with a medical professional.

Quote:

As for milk, you can try different milks such as goat milk(actually pretty good and they say it's easier to digest), there's also rice, potato, almond etc milks

Goat milk is easier to digest if you're a goat! The best food for a human baby is human breast milk.

We had very similar issues pain, bloated stomach, little tiny bowel movements, etc) and pushed the doctor until they started testing and we had a 4 day stay at the hospital!!! They tested for things such as Hirchsprungs disease, which was ALMOST the reason (2 of the tests we positivem but the last test was negative). We ended up seeing a specialist at Sick Kids in Toronto and we required a lot of medication to help train her bowels. Use your instincts and even go to a new doctor if required (we had to in order to get the proper attention). Ask around with friends, family, co-workers to find a good doctor. Finding a good one is hard to find - once u find one hang on tight!!!

Our newest daughter has the opposite end of the spectrum with Diarrhea and now we reading that it may be Hirchsprungs Disease AGAIN! Always trust your own instrincts and don't let others or doctors ignore your concerns.

Quoting Guest, the goat milk suggestion was for mum to drink the goat milk, not the infant.

My 6 week old baby has the same problem. I brought him to the doctor and he said it might be a tear - fissure (sp?). We are going to the hospital to check it out next week. Maybe you should check for this too.

Sometimes a baby is born with a less-than-perfect nerve supply to the bowels, so their "peristalsis" is not adequate for a BM. As they get older and the ABDOMINAL WALL muscles become stronger, they compensate for this flaw. When people become ELDERLY and these muscles LOSE strength, the difficulty arises again.
Even if the baby is breastfed, obvious DISTRESS isn't OK; help her as you have done. My son was like this, and placing a rectal thermometer appeared to help. When he was old enough to take fluids other than breast milk, I got an oral med from the pediatrician that provided bulk and stool softener. Sure enough, he outgrew the problem.

I know this is a great way to discuss ideas and pass on our "wisdom" of what works, but to the person who said "your doctor is an id**t" WOW! Pediatricians are college educated and trained to know all about babies health needs; including what they need in their diet and otherwise. If you want to call someone an id**t talk to the person who is telling you to stick leaves up your baby's bum. I am glad it worked but let's just say you are the lucky one. Using external remedies to "help" could possibly become a crutch to a baby's immature body temporarily or even permanently depending on the method used, because the body is still learning to work properly on it's own. A Dr. is the best place to go to discuss health issues you want to implement with your child