Hi, I am a mother to a six years old girl. We live in a town that is crowded with cars and trucks. The air pollution is so obvious. Naturally, I am very worried about my daughters health. Some children that live near us have breathing difficulties. I think that it is caused by air pollution. Anyhow, what can you tell me about breathing distress that is caused by air pollution?

Hi, I understand your concerns. Healthy environment is the essence of proper development of children. Air pollution is a serious thing. It can trigger a lot of conditions. One of them is breathing distress. If constantly affected by air polluters, our airways and lungs are the first to change. But the change is for worse. If the change in breathing of a child occurs, an urgent visit to the doctor should be made. Breathing distress is diagnosed whenever a child does not have capabilities of satisfying his needs for oxygen and gas exchange. Besides being chemically induced, breathing distress can appear as a result of many diseases. Such are allergies, asthma, meningitis, tuberculosis, heat strokes, HIV. If you notice that your child has some difficulties breathing, it could be that he is developing breathing distress. Then you should take her to see a doctor.