My sister has 4 years old toddler with asthma. There has never been any asthma sufferer in our family, so it can not be genetic. Her child was diagnosed asthma accidentally, when had bronchitis. His symptoms are not that severe and fortunately easily well controlled with medications. What causes asthma in toddlers? I plan to have a baby soon and am concerned about it.

As I read once, each asthma case has a different cause, different trigger factors and requires different treatment. In asthma, airways are easily irritated by trigger factors that cause their swelling and cause breathing difficulties. Most asthmatic children can do just fine, thanks to good asthma action plan, right medications and cooperation of parents, paediatrician and child. In patients with asthma, respiratory immune system has poor response on these trigger factors that usually cause no symptoms in healthy people.