Do you like to run in your neighborhood or you prefer a park or unfamiliar parts of the town? I like running through my neighborhood because I feel much safer especially when I run in the evening. It’s also quite practical because I spare some time because I just get out of my house and star running. I don’t have to waste my time by getting to some other place.

I don’t like running through my neighborhood for a simple reason that there is no adequate running track. I live in the downtown and my neighborhood consists of numerous skyscrapers and it’s very inconvenient t run around the block and collide with other people, getting splashed by passing cars and so on. Another big problem is air pollution and I have the feeling that I’m going to suffocate if I inhale too much of that air. That’s why I have to go to some park or to more peaceful neighborhood. I’m not so concerned about my safety because I always bring protection spray with me. It’s true that I waste some time to get to my training destination but I have no other choice.

With the winter cold coming in lately I've found it harder and harder to get in the car and head to the track about 12 minutes away. So I've just been suiting up and running around the neighborhood, it's been a nice change. My neighborhood is pretty hilly, so it's taken some getting used to, but it's really built up my endurance. I used to only like running on a track so I know exactly how many miles I've completed, but I think throwing in occasional neighborhood runs is a good way to shock the body into improving. Instead of thinking, "3 more laps... 2 more laps.. last lap.." it goes more like, "Okay let's make it to the top of this hill... next hill.. down slope coming up". I like it. Plus I save quite a bit of time and gas.