I had a triple bypass in July 2005 and right from the start I could hear rubbing and popping sounds. I was told this was normal and that my sternum would heal. Then I was told that even if it didn't heal, I could stand the pain and I didn't have the surgery redone, I could lead a normal life. It hurts every time I sneeze, cough or pick something up and I can feel one side or the other moving independently of the other and I can also feel the open gap in the sternum. Is this common?

?
I just read the subject about your problem with sternum, I too had a triple bypass 10/04,and have just about given up hope when I came across your message, same problems! I had a Xray and found 8 wires broken! How I don't know, My surgeon told me it would be ok. I have been experiencing some wild feelings, hot flashes or start reezing , cold sweats cannot lift anything without pain! I got a second opinion and found it rare but in some cases the sternum fails to heal, sometimes because of infections.

My triple CABG was in April 2000 at age 48 after a mild heart attack. My chest is still tight after 8 years. It still clicks and pops. My cardioligist scoffs at me. Sys I'm dreaming....

I can cause chest pains by manipulating my shoulders and pecs.
My Cardio tests still show samo samo but it sure a pain - literally.

Is anyone else in the same boat.

Also my left hand is still numb at the fingertips from the radial artery graft. I have had left arm and chest pains for 8 years.
Is this common? Man, I'm messed up but my stamina is through the roof.

Somebody tell me I'm OK... or am I doomed?

Hang in there CABG brothers!

Wow! I'm real sorry to hear about your problems. I had quadruple CABG in March of 2005. I have been fortunate to have zero problems with my recovery and feel almost as if nothing ever happened. Only issue I have is with the scar having healed with some keloid tissue that occasionally itches. Minor compared to the problems you three have been experiencing.

If it were me, I'd certainly get a second opinion (or third or fourth is that is what it takes) and get to the root of the problem. Pain after 2 to 3 years IS NOT NORMAL. The sternum should have healed. Keep looking, guys. Someone out there will help you!

Non-union of sternum is a rare medical condition.  There really is not any consensus on how to correct this very serious condition. The normal re-wiring of the sternum has proved to be inadequate in many cases.  Has anyone heard of or had any experience with Talon Implants, to close the sternum, and treat the condition this way??? Please looking for input, thank you.  

My daughter has had 2 open heart surgeries, 1 at 7 1/2 months and another at 9 months. Shes turning 2 soon. We noticed her sternum popping about 6 months ago and found that she has a seperation in her sternum also. Her surgeon said as long as its not causing pain or hurting anything to leave it until it does do to the size of the surgery. I'm sorry to hear all of the pain your going through but I"m worried about this also due to the fact that my almost 2 year old can't tell me if anythings wrong. She started complaining when I  put lotion on her chest after the tub about a week and a half ago, and has continued to do so now. I"m also confused as to of what to do! Anyone know of this happening in an infant/toddler??

I had my Quadruple BP on 10/10/11. I too have what I call "click clack" with movement. I was worried about whether my sternum was healing right or not. I have no pain associated with it though. I can also feel a small gap when I put and move my finger down the middle. It's funny how the body plays tricks on you. I could swear the sound is so loud a person next to me can hear it too but it's not. My doctor has to have his scope on me to hear it. I don't know if this is a serious condition or not. What is constant now is that feeling like I have a constant down pressure on my chest. It's just an uncomfortable feeling. Turning over in bed or just moving around is all it takes. Sometimes I feel it up high on my breastbone and sometimes I feel it at the bottom of my ribs. Right after surgery I was only able to sleep on my back. I have always slept on my sides. I remember finally being able to be comfortable on my side if I layed in a certain position. That felt so good but right after that I started building fluid around my left lung and eventually had to have it drained. I wonder if being on my side was the cause of the problem.

Strange, this statment sounds like it came from me. I also had a triple bypass in 2005. At the time I was taking care of my mother and broke every clamp/wire which was holding my sternum together. What should be done now?

I have a friend who is experiencing this problem. Does it get better?

I had quadruple bypass in Nov. 2010, since then I have pain on left side of chest every time I get out of my chair, in and out of car, turning over in bed etc. As well , when I cough there is a golf ball size opening that puffs out of my chest.

rsalton , I had CABG in June 2010 and I can empathise with you each side of my chest moves independent of the other and causes such pain it makes me want to stay still all the time. I can hear them pop against each other. I have a large marble (size 1") knot right at the bottom of my right rib where it should connect to the sternum . I was told I will have to deal with it I couldn't believe it ! mri shows very nearly complete non-union.

Had my aortic replaced in Feb.2010. My chest has never been the same since. Mention it to the cardiologist and I get a better response talking to my barn door. Not a happy human any more.

I had surgery in July of 2013 it is now Jan 2014 and my chest in the lower area still hurts and when I lay down at night I can feel popping and movement in it. Bending over causes pain and lifting things certain ways hurts bad and I still can't lift or do what I did before. I am getting worried?? Will they have to go in again to fix this. Also feel poking and sharp stabbing at times in sight of the scar.

So sorry to hear this but I feel this way a lot with my Doctors, wish they would remember the saying about walking a mile in someone else's shoes.

so we just have to live with this pain the rest of our lives , oh great like I don't have enough of that already with my leg problems and other issues. Don't these Dr. have any feelings anymore.