I had a fracture sternum two days ago, was a car accident. could you tell me , how can i take care my self and help me to recove and what should i do now, i'm 47 years old lady.

thanks lot

monica zhou

I suffered the same thing, a fractured sternum from a car accident. I was told it was from the impact against the airbag. My doctor told me that it can take from 6-12 weeks to heal and longer if you smoke, cough, sneeze, stretch, or anything that can make it uncomfortable. It has been 12 weeks exactly and although it doesn't feel completely healed it does feel much better than it did for the first 6 weeks. I still have to apply pressure to my chest if I am going to cough or sneeze. I took ibuprofen once or twice a day with food and it helped a little bit as the sternum swells while it is aggravated. Be cautious on the ibuprofen, though, as it can mess up your stomach. That's why I took it with food and ate a rolaid afterwards. I hope this helps a little bit.

HELLO, I CAN TELL YOU THIS DEPENDING ON HOW BAD THE HIT WAS, IT CAN TAKE YEARS, I WAS TOLD 2 YEARS OR MORE.. WELL IT HAS BEEN OVER 2 YEARS, I FEEL VERY UNCOMFORTABLE... WRITE TO ME IF YOU LIKE..I WAS HIT IN A HEAD-ON IN 2005, THE WOMAN THAT HIT ME DID'NT GET HURT AT ALL, I WAS KNOCKED OUT I THOUGHT I WAS DYING, I COULDN'T BREATHE RIGHT FOR 5 MONTHS AND SLEPT UPRIGHT

Yes i was in a recent car accident i was in the passenger seat of a rsx traveling about 50 mph and was hit head on by a minivan they were doing mabe 20 mph. they just pulled out in front of us i blacked out on impack the van hit us then we went over an inbankment then hit a telephone pole so the doc told me i broke my sternum and hit my heart along with my lungs this happend last month and i still cant sleep or breath rite i lost most of my hearing in my left ear . They told me to give it time for my ear cuz it has to heal naturally but i think thats bs. I know it will take awhile for everthing to heal i know that but my ringin in my left ear their is no word that i can describe for the pain, the drugs dont do it i stoped takin all the meds they prescribed to me and all of the pain pills they make me sick. i lost 30 lbs less then 1 month. what do i do ? anyone thanx

jeff

I just read your message.I had my wreck 3 weeks ago.I have a fractured sternum,and a vertebrae. It still hurts a lot.I wear a body brace,but when I pull it off,I feel vulnerable,And very anxious.I was hit by an arguing couple,that made me drive into an oncoming semi,bounce off,go backwards to hit it a second time.They didn't get hurt,or have insurance...Imagine that. How long did it take before you felt closer to being yourself before the wreck? Also,were you afraid to drive? Ty. Betty Brown

I had my wreck 3 weeks ago,and still hurt a lot.I have a fractured sternum,and vertebrae. I was hit by an arguing couple,then I hit an oncoming semi,swung around,and hit it again. They were not injured,nor had insurance.I will wear a brace and go see the Dr. again in 3 weeks. I get very anxious in a car now when my hubby drives.I am frustrated that I can't do anything,and feel helpless. Betty