I have noticed that every time I expect my period I have brown stringy discharge. I have an appointment with my gyno but before that I would like to know more about my "condition". What is the cause of it?

Vaginal discharge before period can change. Make sure to have a pap smear test because some disorders don't cause discomfort on the early stage. However, they can lead to infertility afterwards. During intercourse, the liquids increase due to glands activity. These glands are found near the opening of the vagina and they are called the Bartholin glands. The closer the ovulation day is, the greater consistency of the flow is. The smallest amount of the secretions appears immediately after the menses. The amount of the substances varies during different times of the cycles. The greatest amount is on ovulation day. These are mucus-like substances that mix with the bacterial flora of the vagina and old cells from the vagina. The cervix produces flows expelled from the vagina and changes in the amount and color of the flow can happen due to several causes. It consists of secretions produced by the cervix and vagina mixed with old cells and bacteria present in the vagina. A normal flow should be mucous-like, clear or milky with no odor. Brown discharge usually appears in pregnant women.

suzie wrote:

I am having the same thing happening. I haven't made a gyno appointment yet, but what did they tell you?

Hi there! Have you made an appointment yet? How long have you been experiencing this bleeding?

Is there any chance that you are pregnant? Brown discharge is usual for pregnant ladies. They experience it usually after sex or masturbation.

Brown discharge usually indicate that it is blood mixed with mucus. You may be bleeding if for example you have low levels of estrogen, which made your vaginal walls sensitive and thin. If there’s penetration of any kind you may bleed.

Also, different vaginal or uterine growth can also cause some bleeding. I am talking about polyps and fibroids, which can be successfully treated. All you need to do is have that appointment and see what it is all about.

It could be nothing as well, only the beginning of your period mixing with mucus.

However, someone needs to have a look down there to see what is going on!

Hi everyone... I have extremely irregular periods.. had not had one for over 4 years till today!!! (Yes that does make me happy lol)

But before the actual bleeding occured, about 12 hrs prior I began to cramp (mild), and released 2 "plugs" of mucus, white/browish in color- no odor. Now I think that was because I was about to get a period... but I can't help but wonder if these "Mucus Plugs" are what prevented me from having a period for such long period of time.

I had one friend suggest that it might be some kind of blockage that I might have had, as I had never in my life experienced anything like this... EVER!

Normal discharge-yes, but nothing to this extreme... the amount of mucus was a lot... so I'd like to know what others think about this or possibly share your experiences.

Thanks,
SL

Hi, I have irregular periods too, been to the doctors but they said its nothing to worry about %-) . Well i think i've started one this morning (i think (1st one in 3 months), its like dark brown/dark green blobs - is this normal ??

I have the same, No period just brown stringy blobs. I have had this for a while now. I went to the docs and they said it was the pill stopping me have a period. I have normal cramps. Not sure wether i should be worried or not...
Guest wrote:

Hi, I have irregular periods too, been to the doctors but they said its nothing to worry about :? . Well i think i've started one this morning (i think (1st one in 3 months), its like dark brown/dark green blobs - is this normal ??

hey ive been having a brown discharge from my vigina and i dont know why?
its it isnt brown than its whitish color is something wrong with me ? do i have a disease?

have any of you had a kenalog shot for wheezing or sinus issues thats what caused it for me. pease reply. I'd like to start a clss action suit with the manufacture

Ok, here's what's going on with me.

I had a baby about 10 months ago and was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago. I had a hard time getting pregnant with her but since I went off the pill in December 2008 I have gotten a "cycle" every 28-29 days which has never happened except right before I got pregnant with my kids. Ok, so 3 months in a row go by and the reason I call it a "cycle" is because I get this brown stringy stuff for about 7-8 days and then it starts over again in about 28 days. This month it happened about 2 weeks after the last time so what is going on with me? Any answers will help!
thanks!

I also am having something similar with brown stringy discharge but I had a subtotal hysterectomy about 3 months ago. I still have my ovaries. Every 28 days, whether this is marking a "period" or whether it is marking ovulation, I will have slight cramps and brown stringy discharge. I wouldn't think I would without a uterus.

Last month, I got my period on December ninth. Heavy bleeding stopped by December 12th, and on December thirteenth through december fifteenth I only had spotting. On December thirteenth my boyfriend and I had sex. He went inside about two or three times and I made him stop, because I didn't want to get pregnant. My fertile days were December 18th through December 24th.
    We had sex again on January fourth, but once again he only went in me a few times before I made him stop. I had dark brown discharge (it was clumpy and stringy) on January 2nd through January 5th. My period should have started on January 6th, it is January 7th now so it is one day late. I have had a small amount of brown spotting, but no period yet. What are the chances that I am pregnant?

Sounds to me like most of you are having issues with ovarian cysts. I would recommend talking to your doctor about your symptoms and maybe getting an internal sonogram done. Most cysts are functional and go away by themselves, but occasionally, they don't, so it's important to check in with your doctor regularly.

When a cyst drains itself, it is common to see a brown stringy discharge (brown means old blood). Ovarian cysts are often accompanied with more discharge than normal and cramps. Hope this helped.

Hi, I saw your post from a year ago about Kenalog and brown spotting. I got a kenalog shot and now I am experiencing the same. Did yours resolve? Do you think it was the kenalog shot? I am so worried and upset that the doctors didn't warm me about the potential side effects. Had I known, I wouldn't have done it.

I have Never taken any kind of birth control pill etc. I do however have the same brown stringy discharge (around the time of my period). Although this month I have the brown stuff now and my period shouldn'y start for another 2 weeks.