I was diagnosed with anxiety two weeks ago. I always had problems with panic but I never thought that it come to the point where it would control my life. Doctor proscribed me medicine called buspirone. I would like to know more about this medicine. Thanx

Buspirone is a psychotropic medicine with anxiolytic properties. It belongs chemically to the class of compounds known as the azaspirodecanediones. Buspirone shares some of the properties of the benzodiazepines and the narcoleptics. It affects a variety of dopamine mediated biochemical and behavioral events. However, it is free of cataleptic activity. Buspirone is used in patients with anxiety and panic attacks. It has short-term symptomatic relief of excessive anxiety. Buspirone is contraindicated in patients with severe hepatic or renal impairment and patients who have previously taken benzodiazepines may be less likely to respond to buspirone than those who haven't. The most common side-effects of buspirone are dizziness, headache, drowsiness and nausea. Any patient suspected of having taken an overdose should be admitted to a hospital as soon as possible. In these cases stomach is emptied by gastric lavage.