Hi, I am a thirty years old man. I am a passionate smoker. Sometimes I have this cough that I thought was the consequence of my smoking habit. But, recently, I started to have difficulties breading. And as this was not enough couple of days ago rash appeared on my hands. Now I am thinking that the cough is maybe connected with this other problems that I am having. A friend told me that he had watched the television show about sarcoidosis and that my symptoms are similar to the symptoms of this condition. I don't like doctors and their tests so I was wondering if you could tell me how sarcoidosis is diagnosed, so that I could know what to expect.

Hi, your friend may be right. The symptoms you described consist with sarcoidosis. Many people with this condition don't even know that they have it. It can go undetected. Usually, sarcoidosis is affecting lungs. That is why you may be having problems breading as well as coughing. Rash is also known as a symptom of this illness, when it attacks skin. In order to be certain, you must see a doctor. He will determine the next move. The trouble with sarcoidosis is that it resembles other conditions, such as tuberculosis. Thorough clinical and radiological exams are the only way to diagnose sarcoidosis and be one hundred percent sure. The most efficient exam is the chest x-ray. If it shows signs of pulmonary sarcoidosis, it may be followed by a tissue sampling. Also a lot of other tests will be performed including blood test and an ECG to determine the effects of sarcoidosis on other organs. Even if you are diagnosed with sarcoidosis you shouldn't be very concerned. In the large number of cases the condition will disappear on its own after some time. However, medicines might be used to speed up the recovery.