I had a left lapidus eight months ago with three screws in foot, and a keller wire to correct hammertoe 2nd toe.   Six weeks on crutches, and back to work (nursing) at eight weeks.   I limped around for four weeks in athletic shoes, then had right hip pain, ? strained sacro-iliac ligament.   What helped my foot recovery was to exercise the big toe many times each day, both passively and actively.   However, I seem to have a permanently numb great toe, and am wondering if this will ever come right.   I can wear open-toed moderate heels for special occasions, but otherwise wear flat sports shoes or flip-flops.  The big toe has developed an ingrown toe nail, partly because I cannot feel it, but also from the altered gait, and need an orthotic to rotate the foot more so I am walking on the big toe joint instead of the outer foot.   Also still have joint pain issues when stand directly on the big toe.   The orthopaedic surgeon said he does not know why this has happened, as his other bunion patients have been fine.   Has anyone else had a numb big toe after this surgery, please?

Hi, how are you getting on? I am only 3 and a half weeks post op and the side of my big toe on the side nearest the middle of my body is still numb. My surgeon warned me that this could happen and I know it is still relatively early days for me. I hadn't realized that if a sensory nerve is cut during sugery that it can cause a neuroma which can be painful. I have an area on the top of my foot that I think is the end of the severed nerve and when it's tapped gently I get electrical zapps in the damaged area of my big toe. It's more weird and a little freaky than painful and I'm hoping it will lessen or atleast not get any worse. I read up a bit on nerve damage and while damaged nerves (stretched, bruised, crushed) can repair over time if the nerve has been cut then it wont repair. Small branches from other healthy nerves surrounding an area where the nerves have died can grow into the area over time making the numb area smaller. Nerve damage can possibly be corrected by surgery. Seeing my Doctor later this week so will ask about the nerve damage then.

Hello Amanda, congrats on being 3 1/2 weeks closer to healing. It took me 8 weeks to start walking (limping), and 14 weeks to get comfortable. Not sure what happened to the great toe. The nerve may have died because the plaster cast was too tight, but I didn't know any better and thought it was normal. Or it may have been when the tendon between the great and 2nd toe was deliberately severed, not sure why, leaving a permanent gap. There was also a Keller wire down the 2nd toe deep into the mid-foot to fuse the joint. At any rate, life goes on and I'm grateful to have a usable foot. Definitely talk to your doctor. What I've got now is similar to a diabetic foot, and will need as much care and attention to prevent accidental trauma because of the loss of sensation in the great toe. Didn't realise there was an ingrown toenail until the pus and blood came oozing out, then didn't need the local anaesthetic the podiatrist insisted on, because no pain. So a mixed blessing, but if there is anything that can be done to save the nerve in your toe, now is the time to do it. Perhaps electrical stimulation? Good luck, and let us know how you get on.