can a home pregnancy test detect hormones produced by an ectopic pregnancy?

Hi Coromandel,

Yes it can.

You must use your first morning urine (wake up pee) when you test.  Use a name brand test too.

Why do you think you might be having an ectopic pregnancy?

thank you for replying. i am late for my period, which is really unusual for me. however the last intercourse i had was on nov. 9th, we had a condom break and that was the last time i had sex. so it's been about 8 1/2 weeks since sex.(sorry for too much info there) anyways, being scared i have taken numerous home pregnancy tests, i even went to a local clinic that does pregnancy testing just to be sure, they did a urine test, came back negative, however the girl said well you might have an ectopic pregnancy which wouldn't be detected via urine. that didn't make sense to me. as of today i have light brown spotting, but not a period and just feel off. i was just wondering is there any possibility of being pregnant? oh and i have used first morning urine with my home pregnancy tests, they all came up negative too.

They will detect the hormone. The hormone is in your blood, some gets passed with your urine,that's how the urine test works. A blood test can also detect an ectopic pregnancy.

Saying that, home tests don't always work - even for a normal pregnancy. There are just so many variables. Are you using a name brand test? Are you using your wake up pee? Not all tests are alike.

You can have some spotting early in pregnancy. You would normally be having some abdominal pains, nausea, vomiting, and sharp cramps.

I'd suggest a visit to your ob/gyn to find out why you aren't having your period.