I have a Question (well if that isn't the most obvious way to start a thread -.-) But How accurate do you think the home pregnancy tests are. Which are the best to use. Do you have to use it the day you miss your period? Can it be done anytime after (Reason I'm asking is because Ive missed my period for two months and I took a generic CVS one that read negative and an EPT that read negative and I took the EPT about four days before my second missed period) Also I know it says not to hold it with the absorbent strip upwards and BrightandShiny me did it anyways. So can that effect the results?

I am really young and I dont know who to really ask about anything.

How accurate are home pregnancy tests?
Home pregnancy tests (HPTs) can be quite accurate. But the accuracy depends on many things. These include:
How you use them - Be sure to follow the directions and check the expiration date.
When you use them -
The earlier after a missed period you take the test the harder it is to spot the hCG. If you wait one week after a missed period to test, you are more apt to have an accurate result. Also, testing your urine first thing in the morning may boost the accuracy.
Who uses them - The amount of hCG in the urine is different for every pregnant woman. So, some women will have accurate results on the day of the missed period while others will need to wait longer.
The brand of test - Some home pregnancy tests are more sensitive than others. So, some tests are better than others at spotting hCG early on.
Many HPTs claim to be 99% accurate on the day you miss your period. But research suggests that most HPTs do not consistently spot pregnancy that early. And when they do, the results are often very faint.
In a 2004 study, researchers tested the accuracy of 18 HPTs sold in retail stores. They found that only one brand consistently detected the low levels of hCG usually present on the first day of the missed period. This was the First Response, Early Result Pregnancy Test. The other tests missed up to 85% of pregnancies on the first day of the missed period. Most tests accurately confirmed pregnancies one week after the missed period.
Which brand of pregnancy test is the most accurate?
Some brands of tests can pick up lower levels of hCG than others. But limited research makes it impossible to say for sure which one is the best. Even so, two studies suggest that First Response, Early Result Pregnancy Test may be more sensitive than others. So for women who want test early, this is probably the best product.

How soon after a missed period can I take a home pregnancy test and get accurate results?
Many home pregnancy tests (HPTs) claim to be 99% accurate on the day you miss your period. But research suggests that most HPTs do not consistently spot pregnancy that early. And when they do, the results are often so faint they are misunderstood. If you can wait one week after your missed period, most home pregnancy tests will give you an accurate answer. Ask your doctor for a more sensitive test if you need to know earlier.

When a home pregnancy test will give an accurate result depends on many things. These include:
How long it takes for the fertilized egg to implant in the uterus after ovulation.
When you use them - The amount of hCG in a pregnant woman's urine increases with time. So, the earlier after a missed period you take a HPT, the harder it is to spot the hCG. If you wait one week after a missed period to test, you are more apt to have an accurate result. Also, testing your urine first thing in the morning may boost the accuracy.
Who uses them - The amount of hCG in the urine at different points in early pregnancy is different for every woman. So, some women will have accurate results on the day of the missed period while others will need to wait longer.

I got a negative result on a home pregnancy test. Might I still be pregnant?
Yes. So, most HPTs suggest women take the test again in a few days or a week.
Sometimes women get false negative results (when the test says you are not pregnant and you are) when they test too early in the pregnancy. Other times, problems with the pregnancy can affect the amount of hCG in the urine.
If your HPT is negative, test yourself again in a few days or 1 week. If you keep getting a negative result but think you are pregnant, talk with your doctor right away.

Can anything interfere with home pregnancy test results?
Most medicines, over-the-counter and prescription, including birth control pills and antibiotics, should not affect the results of a home pregnancy test. Only medicines that have the pregnancy hormone hCG in them can give a false positive test result. A false positive is when a test says you are pregnant when you're not.
Sometimes medicines containing hCG are used to treat infertility (not being able to get pregnant). Alcohol and illegal drugs do not affect HPT results. But women who may become pregnant should not use these substances.

Although everything was said twice the previous post was great.
And Although its not recommended to hold the test the way you did as long as you got a "control" line the results shouldn't have been affected. I personlly only rely on the First reponse test but thats just because its the most sensitive- all the tests work-its just the matter of when. For most women, if your cycles are regular the test should be accurate when you miss your period
For the girl who asked the question how long after your last unprotected sex was it that you took the hpt? Some of the early result tests can give you an accurate answer up to 5 days before your missed period but it would be MUCH more accurate if you wait until you actually miss your period.If you tested after missing your period and its been at least 2.5-3 weeks since you had unprotected sex I would say you can rely on that answer. Either way after missing your period for 2 months you really should see your doctor to determine if its something other than stress delaying your cycle. Good luck