have heard some friends of mine used home pregnancy tests. I am skeptic about this, and I think it is much safer to visit gynecologist if woman doubt she could be pregnant. Somehow, I cannot believe this home pregnancy test can tell exactly if woman will have a baby. I would like if there is someone who could explain this to me. I wonder how this test works and could it be really shows woman is pregnant?

Home pregnancy test measures the presence of a hormone in urine called human chorionic gonadotropin, or hCG. This hormone is produced by cells from the placenta, and this hormone first gets into bloodstream when the fertilized egg implants in uterus. This happens usually about six days after fertilization. The amount of hCG in body then increases rapidly during pregnancy, doubling in amount about every two days. By 14 days after fertilization, which is about the time woman would expect her period, some home pregnancy tests may be able to detect the hormone in urine. Then woman that have home pregnancy test will get a positive result. However, in spite of claims producers of these home pregnancy tests most of them are not sensitive enough to guarantee an accurate result at this point. In fact, woman is much more likely to get an accurate result if she waits until a week after her expected period before testing. Most home pregnancy tests claim to be greater than 99 percent accurate and imply that woman can use them as early as the day she misses her period. However, some studies published this is misleading, and not so exactly true.