I am 22, with polycystic ovarian syndome.

I went to the hospital a week ago and was told I had an urinary tract infection. My pregnancy serum and HCG quant. test said I was pregnant (35). 5 days later I took a home pregnancy test and showed up negative. Two days after that I went to the doctor and took another urine test and it again showed up negative. I am waiting on the quant. results.

I am soo confused. My doc agreed with me when I said that with my HCG reading being at 35, within 5 days it should have risen enough to be detected by the home pregnancy test.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to know the answer to this post; I think I am in the same situation. What happened with you??

i had similar situation but told it is a side effect from the pcos. good luck hope it turns out how u want it 2

Some home pregnancy tests do not pick up the HCG until it hits 100.. Yuo should always try and use an "EARLY pregnancy test".

Blood tests will always pick up a preganncy 7-10 days earlier than a urine test.

uti's can cause miscarriages

When I was pregnant with my daughter (now 4 years old) I tested negative on over 5 home pregnancy test. I came down with a pretty severe UTI and then tested possitive on a blood test. I took Home test even after seeing my 9 week vaginal probe ultrasound and still never got a possitive urine test. The fact is that some women just don't have high enough levels of HCG to make the urine say yes. I am experencing something similar now as well. I am 4 days late on my cycle and have a UTI, but the urine tests continue to show a negative result. I am ttc so I hope this is the same senario as with my daughter. I hope everything works out the way you want.

My sister has 4 & 1/2 kids and has had three of her pregnancies have negative HPT but positive blood tests. This also happened to my mom in one of her pregnancies. I'm kina nervous because I have pregnancy symptoms but with a negative HPT. I have spotting, bloating, gas, headaches, pronounced montgomery tubucles, cramping, weird twinges in my stomach and I cant stop eating. I have a blood test this Tuesday...so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Guest wrote:

uti's can cause miscarriages

. I had the same problem my last pregnancy n now I think I'm pregnant again but I took a test this morning and came out negative any suggestions if I should get a blood test?

When You Have A UTI Its Blood In Your Urine There For Hpt Can Not Detect If You Pregnant Because They Mistake The Blood In Your Urine For Your Period, Thts Why You Keep Getting bfn. I Suggestion You Take A BloodTest Or Get A Ultra Sound. Im In The Same Boat. And I Would LOve To Be Pregerrss.

I am 13 days late and have had 6 negative hpt tests over the past week. Cramped like I was gonna stat twice since it was supose to be here... I have an appointment to see my dr on the 21st. Hope all is ok I am scared it might be optopic...

A HPT does not detect blood in your urine. A HPT detects the pregnancy hormone hCG. hCG levels have nothing to do with a UTI or blood in your urine.

3littledoodles wrote:

Kory_KTTC wrote:

She was not saying the test detected blood, she was saying blood in the urine will defect/destroy the test. This is true. 10% of the population have blood in their urine. This can cause faint positives or even negatives. I know as I have kidney defects so I can only take a FRER after my missed period and this will only show faintly. All other tests for example the 100miu tests at the doctors can not, and never will detect my hormones. My blood destroys the test; think about it, you should only put urine on the stick so the stick can detect hcg in the urine, as soon as you add microscopic blood thats in the urine to it it starts to destroy the strip/dye that detects the hcg. The only reason a FRER will work for me is because after you period you should have approx 50+mui of hcg in your urine, FRER's detect 20mui as they are very sensitive hence why when I test the blood doesn't entirely destroy it and it comes back v faint even though I'd have 50+mui and so it should be a very dark line. I know this as I have been getting very faint positives this week (I wasdue roughly 4 days ago) and got a negative at the doctors today. I know him quite well and asked why. He said due to the constant blood in my urine it is destorying the reagent that is trying to detect the hcg. Kory_KTTC. does not seem unintelligent, I am sure this is what she was meaning to say :) xxx

omg!!! Thank you!! I'm holding onto hope here that this is why I got a positive blood test then bfn htp today (3 days later!) fingers crossed this is not indicating a miscarriage.. find out tomorrow, I can hardly stand it- the waiting and not knowing is enough to make a girl NUTS!!

This is BS.. simply NOT factual.

I took a urine test on Saturday morning-came out positive. Went to doc's office saturday afternoon confirmed with a blood test-came out positive then Monday came and because i was bleeding i did another urine to see if the blood made me miscarry and it came out negative so i went to the hospital and i was still pregnant but with the hcg level of 5 with the blood test. My answer to you is YES you should go get a blood test done its worth it because it tells you what your hcg levels are and your doctor will beable to go from there with whatever the levels are. Good luck to you!! I am now 5 weeks pregnant!