CAN ALLERY SHOTS CAUSE MUSCLE AND JOINT PAIN?

Hello, I have recently begun allergy shots and it seems that I have more pain (muscle and joint)...so i am wondering if this is a side effect. In addition to this I seem to have fatigue issues usually the day after my shot. Pain and fatigue worse right after shots----- Also, weight gain another thing i noticed after weeks of treatment.

Is anyone else having these problems?

I started allergy shots 2 weeks ago. I've been 5 times and won't go back.
I experienced pain in my neck, back and tingling in my arm. I started getting pressure in my chest after the 5th shot. I noticed these symptoms after my third shot and they would begin to get better and then would flare up after the next shot. I also started having trouble sleeping. I called the clinic to see if neck and back pain are possible from shots and they said yes. I was also told that it would likely get worse with each higher level of injection. They said the pain is allergy symptoms but I was never warned that could happen. It's not worth it for me to continue.

I have been getting shots for over a year and have just recently begun feeling a dull, aching pain through both my arms at random times (worse right after shots) - I'm thinking it might be worse when I'm around my allergens (i.e. when I'm at home, my left arm hurts - left is my cat arm and I have cats at home, but when I was at work today, my right arm hurt and we're having mold problems - mold is one on my right). I hadn't thought about the pain being related to shots until today, and now I see other people have found this too. Thanks for this information, I'll talk to my allergist about this tomorrow when I go in.

I have been getting allergy shots for a couple years. At some point after I started, both of my arms ache from about teh shoulder down to the wrist, often waking me at night. I did not know if the two were connected or not. Sounds like others are experiencing the same thing. I do work out and thought that maybe they were hitting my muscles when they gave the shots.

I have been taking allergy shots for 6 months now and am having the same symptoms as everyone else here is talking about. The day after my shots I get achy joints, mostly in my hands and feet and lower back. I'm also extremely fatigued and even have ran a low fever after getting them. I talked with my allergist and he said that the shots definitely could cause these symptoms. It's so bad for me now I'm not sure if I can continue. They are supposed to make you feel better, not worse.

Has anyone become allergic to any foods after starting allergy shots?

My mother is super sensitive to the allergy shots and they have to raise her dose very very slowly. She was previously allergic to peanuts which turned into all legumes, however, in the past 10 years after she started getting allergy shots she has become allergic to many many more foods (whole wheat, oats, corn, bananas, squash, seasonal food intolerances according to the prominent allergen)

Her friend became allergic to pork after starting shots for cat allergies so she stopped the shots and 6 months later could eat pork again. But I cannot convince my mother to stop getting the allergy shots.

Anyone else have this "symptom"?

Two years ago I was in the best health of my life, at 37 yrs old. I started getting allergy shots and by the end of the following summer I had an achilles tendon injury and a wrist injury that wouldn't heal. After extensive therapy my ankly is repaired, but now both of my wrists and my feet hurt almost every day. I had to stop lifting weights and give up any serious home improvement projects just to get to the point where I can use my wrists without extreme pain. I am searching for documented proof that allergy shots could be the cause. I am ready to quit getting them, as I've ceased getting any relief from them and only seem to be reaping negative effects at this time.

I have the same thing I've been getting shots for a couple months now, the have really helped me. I had an illness that was unknown for 3 months, after I started getting shots I don't have reactions to animals as much.

but I have been gaining alot of weight. and was wondering if tht could be a result of the shots..?

Guest wrote:

======
Sounds like what I'm going through.
I found great relief by cutting out all dairy now.
With the pain in my wrists and knees I could hardly get out of a chair.
Until just recently I ate dairy every day, almost every meal, and then all of a sudden . . . whamo . . . I couldn't turn my neck left or right, my wrist/palms/finger joints were on-fire aching to move, then my hips and knees.
I thought 'man, what is attacking me, I can't stand this'.
All my internet searching came up with arthritis for joint pain.
So I went with steamed vegetable and some chicken for a few days and everything started clearing up.
But I put some butter on the vegies and whamo - it all came back.
=== seems mine is a dairy allergy, so I'll avoid that.

Quote:

Yes. Although there may be two different causes. The allergic response will cause an ache and inflammation. Extreme pain immediately following an injection is from the serum (non-allergic reaction). You will probably notice the pain is worse when the volume of the injection is larger.

Quote:

when I'm at home, my left arm hurts - left is my cat arm

Your allergist should be alternating arms.

Quote:

I have been getting allergy shots for a couple years. At some point after I started, both of my arms ache from about teh shoulder down to the wrist, often waking me at night.

You should try to ice the injection site immediately after getting an injection. You might also consider taking ibuprofen to counter the pain and inflammation of the joints. Perhaps also ask for topical epinephrine before the injection. Epinephrine is a vaso-constrictor so the serum should not spread as quickly thus causing less pain.

Quote:

The day after my shots I get achy joints, mostly in my hands and feet and lower back. I'm also extremely fatigued and even have ran a low fever after getting them.

The allergy shots are supposed to antagonize your immune system, but it sounds like it is doing so too much in your case. A lower dose might be advisable as well as an anti-histamine the day of. If it continues, you might just not be a good candidate for shots.

I'm actually getting that type of joint pain in arms and feet from the allergen itself (mold in my case).

Glad to find this site. I took allergy shots for several months last year. Developed shoulder pain and wondered if the shots were causing it. Stopped shots, took Nutri-Joint and shoulders returned to normal.
I am allergic to many plants and foods, so I decided to start the shots again three months ago. Began to have pain in hips and knees. Dr. greatly reduced dosage and that decreased greatly, but now have the same shoulder and arm pain described above. Pain radiating from shoulder to elbow or sometimes down to the wrist -- both arms. -- sometimes while exercising and sometimes sitting in a chair.

I also have pains from allergy shots. I was told by my allergist and by another medical provider that the pains weren't from the shots, but another doctor did tell me that they were. The pain isn't pleasant and occurs any time after the shot. One shot, or batch of serum, caused a severe pain in one arm that lasted for almost 2 months. I was really concerned that getting the shots had caused permanent injury to a nerve or the muscle. I exercise regularly and eat well. If you're contemplating allergy shots talk to your allergist and doctor about this. Although 80 or 90 percent of my shots have been fine, the others have these pains that can occur at any time for no reason for weeks after the shot. The pains I've experienced have usually been isolated in between the elbow and shoulder in spots in the muscle and it's not where the shot was given.

Gosh I wish I could have found this post earlier. I was dx with eosinophilic esophagitis a year ago and I have been on formula only through a g tube since. I started allergy shots this last summer in hopes of being able to eat more foods (the shots were to environmentals, but for me, they cross react with food). About 3 months after I started the shots, I started getting really hungry, having problems with hypoglycemia, having major problems with nausea, getting extremely tired and fatigued and weak, having difficulty concentrating, and having bad leg, head, and back pain. A month after it started, I finally pin pointed it to the allergy shots and stopped them. My allergist told me that there is no way that the shots could be causing these symptoms. I was so happy when I read here that your allergists have actually said that the allergy shots could cause these symptoms :-) I have been off the shots since the end of October and I am feeling better, but I am still suffering with the symptoms...they are slowly getting better, but taking forever. How long did you guys have these sx for after you stopped the shots?