I know it sounds counterintuitive, but....

My wife has suffered on and off from hemorrhoids since she had her first baby eight years ago. Lately she hadn't had a flareup in a few months. A couple of weeks ago she began eating a high fiber diet as part of a weight loss program, including a lot of beans. This had her defecating several times/day, and although soft she now has a hemorrhoid flareup and she's convinced - she would say she KNOWS - that it's because she's been going to the bathroom so ofter, wiping, and irritating the area. So basically she thinks (KNOWS) she's having a flareup because she's been going so often due to the high fiber (beans mostly) diet.

Does anyone have an opinion about this, or an explanation and plan to continue eating the healthy, high fiber diet without suffering an attack?

I think that it's fully possible that her frequent bowel movements are irritating her hemorrhoids and causing her to have issues. She could try a stool softener or, better yet, you could actually have a bidet installed to take care of the issue because it seems to me that the action of wiping is what really hurts her hemorrhoids. Have you considered a bidet?

My guess is because she changed her diet and is in the bathroom so much that it is irritating her hemorrhoids. Fiber is supposed to help make you go regular and not so hard. Sounds like she is getting way too much if she is in the bathroom that much.