Hello. I'm 45 year old mother and I'm really worried for my son. You see, he is only 20 years old but already suffers from hemorrhoids.
It is all from his all day sitting in front of his computer.
I don’t know what to do about all this.
We have even took him to see some doctors and one of them told us that this could be even worse if he continues like this.
Not only that he should change some of his nasty habits but he should change his complete eating habits.
That’s why I'm interested to hear more about this “right eating” to prevent hemorrhoids!

Hi. I know everything there is to know about this hemorrhoid problem because I was suffering from it at least five long years.
There is nothing more unpleasant and nothing more unbearable and distracting as hemorrhoids- trust me!
Of course, with some changes in life habits and right dietary rules- all this could be prevented!
For hemorrhoid sufferers, diet rich in complex carbohydrates and dietary fiber, particularly insoluble fiber, is perfect and recommended. I really don’t know why is all this but I know that A diet rich in fibers helps because it promotes regular bowel movements which could be crucial. One more thing- vitamin C is also very important because vitamin C may help tone and shrink veins.

There are several useful ways and tips for you to prevent having hemorrhoids or get rid of them. The top one secret on curing hemorrhoids or avoid from them is your daily diet. A bad or unhealthy food leads to constipation, which may cause irregular bowel movement, straining during defecation and sitting on toilet in a long period of time. It’s like a vicious circle.

The first step you could do is to drink enough per day. How much water is enough? Remember the “8x8” rule for water intake. Drink eight cups of 8-ounce (2 liters) water per day. Enough water will keep your body from dehydration and will also help stool become softer, which will reduce the pressure when passing through anal area.

The Institute of Medicine recommends that men take about 13 glasses (3 liters) of 8-ounce beverage a day and women take roughly 9 glasses (2.2 liters) of total beverages per day.

The next step for you is to have enough fiber rich food or fruits. Many people nowadays just don’t have time to obtain sufficient fiber each day, which results in bowel function problem and serious constipation.

The recommended daily fiber supplements consumption is about 25-30 grams (or about 5 kinds of fruits or vegetable in a volume of roughly a fist size each) for an adult. According to American Dietetic Association, the typical adults in USA only take about 11 grams of fiber a day. Below is a list of some food for your fiber obtaining.

- Fruits: bananas, apple, pear, blackberries, raspberries

- Beans: green beans, broad beans, pole beans, snap beans, baked beans, black beans, great northern beans, kidney beans, garbanzos, pinto beans, white beans, lima beans

- Bran Cereals: bran buds, 100% bran, raisin bran

- Bread, whole wheat, pumpernickel, seven-grain

- Vegetables: broccoli, Brussels sprouts carrots, beet greens, collards, kale, spinach, turnip greens, sweet corn, black-eyed peas, green peas

- Others: Potatoes, or sweet potato, lentils, dried figs,

more information here on ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Hi! Thank you for the helpful information you provided here! I've been suffering from the same problem for a couple of days, I'm using an ointment to get some relief but I was also wondering whether I could cure this really upsetting problem by changing my eating style. I've been following a mediterranean diet for a couple of months to lose some weight so I'm eating pretty healthy (carbohydrates and fibers almost every day) but I'm not so used to drinking a lot of water and this bad habit could have caused the onset of hemorrhoids. Fortunately, they are at a very early stage so I hope I'll be able to get rid of them if I force myself to drink more! Thank you indeed!

There's that old 8x8 again. Who's "Institute of Medicine" is it that's pushing that old snake oil adage?

If you want to read a study that was done at Dartmouth attempting to find where that came from and it's validity, here's a link to the study.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Healthy diet is actually the key in hemorrhoids treatment.
And a wrong diet can only make your condition even worse.
In order to cure hemorrhoids problem, try avoiding processed foods as this can be the cause of hard stool and digestive problems.
Some of the healthy foods ideal for you include fruits, green vegetables and whole grains.
All these can make your stool softer and enhance your digestive system.