Hi everyone. I have three cats. My oldest cat is seven years old. I’ve had a cat who was 11 years old but I had to euthanize her few months ago. That was very hard for me, but the vets told me that there is no other option. Anyway, I decided to take better care of my cat’s diet. A friend told me that since my Lisa is 7 she should be eating high protein foods. I am considering putting all of my cats on high protein diet. It can’t harm them right? Can you tell me what are the side effects of high protein cat foods?

Hi Mima,

Your vet is your best resource.

All cats are different.  They have different levels of activity, her size/weight, build, etc.

Will too much protein hurt your cat?  Probably not if there are no underlying health issues.  Lisa will just excrete the extra protein.

Remember too, it's not just the protein but the source.  Cats are not grain eaters.  They do best when obtaining their proteins from meat and fish.  Products that contain grains often are lacking in specific proteins that Lisa needs to be healthy.  Cats can't make all the amino acids they need, they obtain them from their food (animal) sources.

Be wary of pricey foods.  Ask your vet and read the label.

Hey. I totally agree with you, medic – dan. Every cat is totally different, and I suppose that a lot of proteins won’t harm her in some bad way. Of course, the protein is the best source, but you need to be careful, you don’t want to overdose your cat with proteins (if this is possible). To be sure in every your decision, you need to consult your vet and do some exams, to see is your cat healthy. If she has some kidney problems, you really should see what the best dose is for her, together with your vet. But, your cat need proteins.  

Hello there. Well, there are some side effects of high protein diet. Let me just say a few words before I start with that.

First of all, as medic-dan mentioned, all cats are different so not every cat will react the same to the high protein foods.

Second of all,  the source of proteins is more important than the quantity.

Finally, high protein foods can really be helpful when it comes to older cats. Couple of researches have proven that. However, high protein foods can harm your cat’s liver and that’s a very serious side effect. Also if your cat has sensitive kidneys high protein foods should be avoided.

Hey everyone.

There are no any serious side effects from feeding a cat with high protein foods. I also have a cat and I feed her by mixing canned foods and homemade “specialties” from my kitchen. :) I try to make and buy her just foods rich in proteins. Since I started feeding her this way I noticed couple of changes. She is now full of energy, she is running all the time. I am really happy when I see her so cheerful. Another thing that I noticed- her immune system is now stronger than ever. I can’t remember last time she was sick.

Hello there. You should not be so worried about it, because I suppose that you don’t want to overdose your cat with proteins, right? But, don’t worry, proteins can’t harm your cat, of course, if she is healthy totally. Your cat needs proteins, and this only can be good for your cat immune system :) I totally agree with everyone – all cats are different. I have two of them and they are totally different. But, they are healthy :) If your cat is not kitten, she will need more proteins as well :) She will be healthy, and she will have good skin :)

Hello everyone. My best friend Samantha is feeding her cat with high – protein cat food since forever. I mean, since she has the cat and since I know her. And, so far – no problems. Everything was so fine, her cat is healthy. But, her brother also has a cat, and she is not such a big fan of high – protein cat foods. She just refuse to eat it. So, as the others were saying, every cat is different, but I don’t think that there are some side – effects. Actually, I think that there are no side effects at all. My cat eats high protein foods and no side – effects, at all. 

The most obvious side effect is weight gain. Although that does not include fat, the muscle mass will increase and your cat will definitely gain weight after a while of feeding him/ her with high protein food.

Three years ago I was at my aunt’s house for about a month. I needed to help her with her new baby and house choirs. We are very close. 

I started feeding her cat with high protein food when I came, till the moment I left the cat gained 12 pounds. Can you imagine that? In only a month. 

My aunt wanted to kill me.

I spent so much time with cats (nearly 20 years) and I still don’t have right answer to this topic. Some people are saying that high-protein diet prevents cancers and allergies, while others saying this diet can cause liver and kidney damage to cats.

As medic-dan said, every cat is different. There are too many variables to look for. So, the truth is somewhere between these two opposites.

The best thing you can do is to consult with your vet and then decide whether high-protein diet is appropriate for your cat or not.

I personally never followed it for my cats, not because I was afraid or something similar, but I never had reasons to do that.