Hi, I am 22 years old and I am trying to change my lifestyle completely. And of course, that includes changing food menus. I know that I don’t eat too much junk food, but I also don’t have much vegetables and fruits in my meals. Is it really important to take fibers each day?

Healthy metabolism is very important and that also includes proper digestion of all types of food. This means that fibers are very important for digesting because they connect to water molecules and make the stool bigger which widens the intestines and that result with a normal, regular defecation. And fibers are found in vegetables and fruits.

Among the health benefits of fiber in the diet are:

- Relieving constipation and hemorrhoids

- Preventing certain diseases

- Keeping weight under control

Fiber absorbs large amounts of water in the bowels, and this makes stools softer and easier to pass. Anyone starting a higher-fiber diet will notice the difference in stool bulk and in almost all cases, increasing fiber in the diet will relieve constipation within hours or days.
Because stools are easier to pass, less straining is necessary, and this can help relieve hemorrhoids.

By improving the solidity and bulk of solid waste it also helps to keep those who are aging more regular, less constipated. The result, supported by many studies, is (among other benefits) a reduction in the odds of colon cancer.

Insoluble fiber, so-called because it doesn't dissolve readily in water, can be found in nuts, wheat bran, whole grains and many vegetables. But there's another kind called, not surprisingly, soluble fiber. As the name suggests it does dissolve readily in water. It, too, has benefits.

The soluble variety is found in citrus fruit like oranges and lemons, apples, beans, oats and barley grain. Among its other virtues, studies strongly suggest that some soluble fibers (beta glucan) can help reduce cholesterol.

Beans and other legumes are an excellent and inexpensive source of fiber. Food labels also list fiber content. Foods with more than 4 grams of fiber are considered to be good sources.

The easiest way for most of us to get more fiber in our diets is to eat a high-fiber cereal for breakfast each morning. Products such as Fiber One and All Bran provide up to 13 grams of fiber in a single serving. If they aren't tasty enough, you can always combine them with your favorite cereal.