I am 17 and was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure when I was 16. They said it was because it ran in my family but now they're worried I will get diabetes. If you have high blood pressure is it certain you will get diabetes? Thanks.

Have you got the therapy for high blood pressure? Beta blockers are medications that are used to control high blood pressure, but their adverse effect may be development of diabetes. The connection between diabetes and high blood pressure is not uncommon, but also not necessary. It would be likely to get high blood pressure if already have diabetes, but the opposite is not so common. Did you check you glucose level? You didn’t say the real reason of being worried about diabetes. Do you have family history of diabetes? Please give me this information. You are at greater risk if you are overweight. Life and nutritional habits have role in development of diabetes type 2, much more than in type1.And these risky habits are also important to be changed in persons with hbp.

Yes I am on a beta blocker, Toprol XL 50mg. It runs a lot in my family, on both sides so they keep checking and so far so good. I guess I'm just worried because of all the family members I saw with diabetes.