I am scheduled for Arthorscopic Left Knee surgery under general anesthia on May 27, 2009. If I happen to be pregnant can they still do the surgery

They could still do the surgery, but I'm not sure if they'd want to! It depends on how far along you are in the pregnancy and how important the surgery is. If you're not that far along, it might be more possible. But I do know that most surgeons and anesthesiologists would be hesitant to put a pregnant woman under the knife until after she has given birth. I hope that your surgery goes well whenever you have it, and keep us posted on what your physician says. I'm eager to see what they ultimately decide.

Hi:
Depending on what stage of pregnancy you're in would make a considerable difference, i.e. you would NEVER do this during the first trimester. However, my very strong opinion would be ABSOLUTELY NOT, no matter what stage you are in. Is the surgery something that would cause great relief of pain or some other desperate problem? Doctors have to be very careful when giving general anesthesia during surgical deliveries. You must consult with an ob/gyn, a pediatrician and a anesthesiologist. Do your homework here. Is the surgery worth the consequences to your baby. Again, my advise would be to stick it out until after the baby is delivered. Do the doctors involved know that you are pregnant? I would find it hard to believe that they would proceed with any surgery that is not going to save your life. You must tell that so that they will not possibly feel responsible to the damage that your fetus would likely sustain. Please get back to us about your decision or outcome(s)...We'll be anxiously awaiting to hear from you.