Hello, my friends. My husband has been diagnosed with esophageal cancer. He is a chronic alcoholic, so I must admit that this wasn’t surprise to our family. I would like to know what kind of treatment option he has now – surgery or drugs. I would appreciate all your help. Bye, folks!

Hello to you too. Whether one will choose drugs or surgery depends on various factors. It mostly depends on a stage of tumor, age of a patient, general condition, etc. Chemotherapy can be used before surgery in order to shrink tumor. It can also be combined with radiation therapy when surgery is not an option. Unfortunately, chemotherapy affects normal cells as well. It has a lot of side effects. If it is an early cancer, I would suggest you surgery. In any case, you should consult with your husband’s gastroenterologist. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!

Hello, I was wondering how your husband is doing and what treatment was used?