Hello, I am 18 years old and I’ve just recently found out that I had an ear infection at first I thought it was just water in my ear. Doctor prescribed me Amoxocillin 500 mg every eight hours. After five days, I still feel like completely deaf in my left ear. How long does it take for amoxicillin to work?

Hi, I believe that it should have destroyed bacteria, if it’s going to work at all. If you have taken amoxicillin regularly every 8 hours, what’s important for keeping constantly effective concentration of antibiotic in the blood, susceptible bacteria would already been gone by now. This suggest that you need another antibiotic for treatment, I suggest not penicillin antibiotic but of some other kind, because resistance is developed to the group of antibiotics. It would be the best for you to take a test called antibiogram, which is done with person’s own sample and indicates the most effective antibiotic for treatment.