So my friend called me today and she told me that she has severe tooth/ jaw pain and that she is certain that anxiety caused this. I didn't know that there is a connection between anxiety and this and I am still a bit suspicious about it.

Does anyone know anything about this? If there even is a connection between these things, if anxiety can really cause severe tooth or jaw pain, can anybody explain to me why is this exactly happening? I know that anxiety can cause a lot of things but I never heard that it can cause something like this.

Yes, it is very weird but anxiety can indeed cause tooth and jaw pain. Anxiety is a mental disorder but it has so many physical symptoms that people sometimes tend to think that this is a physical disorder as well. Anxiety doesn't directly affect the teeth, but what anxiety does do is cause other problems that end up having an effect on tooth health. 

The things that you can do regarding this is going to the dentist and see what's going on or "simply" curing the anxiety. I guess it gets to be way easier to just go and talk to your dentist.

Hi Guest,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Okay, so anxiety is probably causing her toothache and her jaw pain. You said that it doesn't directly cause toothache but it causes some other things which would then cause this toothache and jaw pain? Do you happen to know what are these other things that anxiety can cause? I am curious now, but it will also come in handy since my friend is suffering from anxiety, I might be able to help her out then, you know, or just act like I'm smart when she has some of these symptoms that you would mention.

Oh, sorry, I don't know exactly which problems could anxiety cause but I am sure that you can do a bit of a research over the internet and find out for yourself, I don't really have time for that right now, but I do know that it can cause severe tooth/ jaw pain, that one is for sure, if you do this research, you will see for yourself. 

You can't help her much, she needs a psychologist, he will be able to help her the most. If you can convince her to go and talk to a psychologist, then you would be helping her.

Anxiety can really cause these things and many, many more. I guess it all comes down to how severe someone's anxiety is. But whoever is suffering from anxiety, they should be focused on treating it and not on thinking about what could it cause. If you treat it, there isn't going to be anything that anxiety can cause since it is going to be gone, am I right?

Guest is absolutely right, your friend could use a psychologist, she needs one, and you can be her support, you can be someone who is there for her, to talk to her when nobody's around.

Hello there.
Yes, I think so. I believe that it could cause jaw and mouth pain and I do know certain people who confirmed me that. You definitely should go to the dentist when you notice that you have this specific mouth guard and that you can't chew. That it hurts you. I am definitely sure that the dentist or your doctor is going to be able to give you some neck and mouth exercises that could help loosen those tight muscles. As you already know anxiety is a mental disorder and doesn't affect your teeth, but it affects something other that reflects on your health, such as teeth and jaw pain. Good luck!

Hey guys. I didn't believe that anxiety can reflect on your tooth and that it can cause you a jaw pain, but than this happened to me. I remember that I woke up one morning with tooth and jaw pain and I also had this weird metallic taste in my mouth. I remember that my sister told me that I am grinding my teeth very often during the night. Then I went to see my therapist and he told me that I have problems with morning anxiety and he told me that I should visit my dentist before I destroy or damage my teeth completely. So, I did it. 

Hello guys. It took me a long time before I understand that anxiety is the only thing which is responsible for my jaw pain. So, yes certainly can cause this to you. When this happened to me I went to see an oral surgeon because I noticed that my jaw always popped and was tight which gave me headaches that sometimes I was not able to stand. He told me that I should talk to my doctor about this as well, and than he told me that this could be one sign of anxiety. Very soon I noticed muscle tension and I realized that this is definitely a symptom of my anxiety. He prescribed me some treatment. Sure, it is a little bit expensive, but I can't stand this pain and muscle tensions anymore. Anyway, he gave me some more tips as well - he recommended me to eat softer foods. And it works!