Okay, here's the story;

I met someone a while ago, we bonded, connected quite well, we got together, we love each other, but he told me he has schizophrenia (paranoia subtype) and he is on medicaton to deal with it. However, I'm curious, should I stay with him? I'm concerned for my safety aswell as his. I love him so much, I'm starting to get so worked up and frustrated over this. I've spent the whole night crying. I don't know what to do. He told me he has to be 'drugged up' to be a member of society and there is no other way around the thing, that medicaton is the only option, aswell as that, it may not go away or subside as time goes on, it may be with him forever. :'(

Help me please. I don't know what to do. I love him. So much. I want to be with him but I'm not sure if I can handle it...

He may have a less severe form of it. He goes out, has friends, goes to school and work, plays football, he's a performer, he seems fine, said he hasn't heard the voices/thoughts for along time... that's good right? Can he get better? What if he doesn't take his medication? What'll happen? Can we lead a normal healthy relationship still? Can we lead normal healthy lives, together??? :'( Sorry for so many questions. They've been pondering me all night though...

Sarah

First of all you need to take a deep breath and relax

He seems fine to me as long as he takes his meds which he is doing so I would not worry about it

You say you love him so give the relationship some time and see what develops

Having a mental disorder is just like having a physical disorder and there are meds for both

Hope this helps
Portia

Heres the thing. If you truly do love someone there is no obstacle you can overcome together. He loves you and needs you. So even if he does here the voices again YOU have the power to talk to him and keep him calm. Love is an extroardinary bond that 2 ppl can share So if you really do love him stay with him. At any rate it seems like he is fine so i doubt you have much to worry about

My brother was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia about a year ago now, and for the time before that yes, he was scary, possibly dangerous. However, he was hospitalised for a few months, and since then he's been regularly taking his medication, he's happier and more confident than he's been for many years now.

While he remains on his medication he's no risk to anyone, and im sure the same goes for your boyfriend.

Suffering from paranoid schizophrenia is a horrific experience, and my brother said while he was in hospital that he's never been so scared by anything as he was in the few months before he was hospitalised, and that he would continue to take his medication as he, more than anyone, doesnt want to go back there.

People generally aren't 'cured' of schizophrenia, however, the symptoms and underlying causes can be addressed. They generally leave people on the medication for at least 3 years, and the situation is then evaluated and their doctors will then decide whether or not theyre ready to be taken off the medication. Some people will remain medicated indefinatly, some people will be on and off them for most of their lives, and some people may only have one course of medication. It's impossible for me to say how your boyfriend would be affected by this, however what i can tell you is that you are almost certainly at no risk. If he did come off his medication, and his symptoms started to reappear, doctors would immediatly intervene, as he is already on their records as someone suffering from the disorder.

My boyfriend has a form of autism and is also a schizophrenic. When he hears things or anything like that, I stay by him because I love him that much. If you love your boyfriend, you'll stick around no matter what, no matter how scared you are. He's never tried to hurt me, though there are different forms of the illness. He means the world to me. I just always let him know it's alright and that I'll help him. I don't that get in the way of our love for each other, and neither should you.

:D

My girlfriend just broke up with me because i have a mental illness as well. Over 2 years, and she couldnt handle it anymore even though i am in extensive therapy and functioning. i am a full time student, have some friends and play college sports. recently i have been getting much better, and accepted the fact i am mentally ill but even if it is under control for years it can still come back at any instant. it is not curable but with the meds and therapy he can continue to tell reality from fantasy. my problem is when it happens i am not able to tell what is real and what isnt, including people and it causes you to be very paranoid. my ex seemed supportive until the end when i had a bad relapse when she was hours away from me but it scared her. you have to think what will make you happiest.

My boyfriend is schizophrenic too. Plus he has this genetic disorder that makes him unable to feel pain. He is on medication and has to go to therapy every Monday. I know how you feel.  Now, if you deeply love and care for him,  then you should stay with him. Here's the way it is with my boyfriend and I. He doesn't have many friends because of... the way he is. He hears voices that tell him to kill people, but he says that they never said anything about me. Even so, I don't feel scared at all. I'm just a little worried. One night he tried to kill himself, but I stopped him before he could do anything. Now I really don't wanna leave him. I care about him too much to let him go. He needs me. 

If you love him then you stay with him and help him the best you can...

I agree with Krissycakes, but I have a few questions.  Is he good to you?  Is he kind and generous?  Everyone has issues so don't let this scare you.  Their is so much negative publicity about this illness when in fact, most people with this illness,schizophrenia, are very wonderful people, with a brain illness.  A brain illness that can be managed with medication.  Unfortunately it's the only way the illness can be managed. 

Sarah, just stay calm. There are new things happening with mental health and it seems you may not know about some of them. How old is your boyfriend? How old are you? I believe schizophrenia is caused by trauma and there are something happening that can help trauma. Your stress level and what you can handle must be considered but you shouldn't jump to any conclusions. Maybe take a breath, enjoy him and your time together, know you have time to make a decision sweet heart. You are right to care about him and yourself. Can you answer the questions?

I'm going thru the same thingweve been on n off for 7 yrs.. my boyfriend was diagnosed 2 years ago as a SZ. he had an outbreak when his mom passed that he had to witness them taking off the machines.. that was the first no one understood y (that was in pr) he came home for xmas around the same time of his moms passing a yr later he broke his brothers foot playing around again no one understood and we weren't together till a month later.. they diagnosed him 2 yrs ago we recently got back together 3months ago he stopped sleeping on wed started acting weird mind u being. clean after 2 yrs his dad decided to take the meds away we were smoking weed and everything was fine this passed Sunday he drank some royal crown I wasn't there..anyways Saturday the 12 he proposed to me but also had an attack before that I asked him y was he changing personalities. He was doing good he gave me 3 stories before he engaged me.. he says it was him but to me it wasn't he shocked meand insulted me before he proposed..Sunday he went to sleep for an hr and woke up to guard the shower where I was at cause the steam woke him up telling him his dad was in the shower with me.. I love him... of course I showed him the shower and spoke to himbut the whole time he was going against me telling me it was my fault.. the cops came and tookhim to lakeside...he's out after a day but doesnt want me near when he's in his moods he told the cops I love u but the engagement was a mistakei call his dad to check up on him being the fact that he doesn't want me near... HOW CAN I HELP HIM..

My boyfriend suffers from this he has visions of god and often believes he is the anti christ he wants to be a born again christian but finds it hard to go to church because he believes he is evil. He takes medication but this still happens i love him so much. We plan on spending the rest of our lives together i just want to help him does anyone know what i could do to help?

Get out!!!!!! While you can!! Get out. Get out. My boyfriend had this but he didn't tell me. I found out the day he attacked me. He went crazy. It was one o the worst experience ever. Get out. I wished I knew before getting in. Right now he is still under doctors care because I guess he remember what he did to me. I will never forgive him. Get out. He can kill you if one day he doesn't take his med. it just takes 1 day. Get out

My ex boyfriend has schizophrenia also, as I just found out AFTER we broke up around the one-year point. Explains so much, looking back. He was not taking care of it, i.e. really poor hygiene, looking like a slob, having no "umph" to get up, somewhat of an introvert (very, very intelligent, btw). Also explains the conversations he'd be having, like someone was actually there. He did show some paranoia with his ex roommates (we did not live together, thank gosh). I had known him 35 years ago, in high school. Would have been nice if he had been up front with me, as I would have stayed with him if he had gotten some help. Two blown marriages in the past (of course, it's all the wives fault, they were "crazy") and financial ruin. I was so willing to be with him, watch him get back on his feet. NOPE. Not gonna happen. He seems to love living in a stinky, cheap hotel in the icky part of town, pounding on the Internet 24/7, letting people know he is so smart. It's sad. We have become friends again, but he has NO motivation. He still does not know that I know of his mental illness. I still love him, but not going through that again. They have to want the help.