Hi everyone,

I am wondering if panic attacks and anxiety can be caused by marijuana use? A lot of people are using it nowadays, whether they are in a country where it is illegal or where it is legal, it is still used worldwide.

I read somewhere that marijuana can contribute to development of panic attacks and anxiety in people, but I'm not so sure that marijuana alone can be the cause of panic attacks and anxiety, I want to ask people here what do you think. Since marijuana is used in some hospitals as well, I really hope that it can't be the cause of these things.

Hi EatingBoss,

If you start thinking about this and try to make a conclusion based on what you already know about marijuana, you are most likely to make a wrong conclusion.

Marijuana is basically used for relaxing, for clearing your head of unwanted thoughts and it is also used by people who want to calm themselves for any possible reason. Regarding all of this, I didn't really think that marijuana can cause panic attacks or anxiety.

However, one day I decided to read a bit about this stuff and I found out that marijuana can indeed be the cause of panic attacks and anxiety.

Yes, it can, but only mild cases.

Actually, if you are not in any way prone to having anxiety or panic attacks, marijuana won't cause these to you. If you somehow already have bad thoughts or feelings which could eventually lead to anxiety or panic attacks, marijuana can furthermore increase the intensity of these thoughts and feelings and maybe other symptoms and then lead to panic attacks and anxiety.

Keep in mind that cases where marijuana causes these two conditions are very rare because marijuana can also help people suffering from panic attacks and anxiety, in a way of making them relaxed.

I don't think that marijuana can be the cause of panic attacks and anxiety all alone. My opinion is that if you already have some signs of these conditions or if you already have these conditions but you aren't aware of them, marijuana is just going to make all these symptoms stronger and make you figure out that you actually have anxiety and cause you some panic attacks.

However, these cases are extremely rare anyway and marijuana does way more good than it does bad. So I wouldn't bring in question anything regarding the benefits of marijuana versus its bad effects.

Hello everyone,

That was exactly my point guys, I didn't think either that marijuana alone can be the cause of anxiety or panic attacks, but if you are somehow already prone to having these or already have some symptoms, marijuana can make it worse and then you might think that marijuana actually caused all of this.

I have another thought on this. What if you are using marijuana way too much? Like, if you are smoking everyday, if you are high all the time? Isn't there a pretty much bigger possibility that you are going to end up with anxiety or panic attacks?

Hi there. Sure it can. Maybe I should not write about this, but I really loved to smoke weed until I saw that obviously I am dealing with depression that was huge, from my point of view. I was sure that marijuana has nothing to do with it, on contrary, I was sure that marijuana can help me feel relaxed and less stressed. But I was wrong. When I came to see my doctor he immediately asked me do I have any connection with marijuana. I could not lie to him because I had problems with it. He told me that marijuana is just one of the reasons why I have constant panic attacks and anxiety. So I quit.

Ouh! I really don't know what to tell you about this, but I have heard this as well from some people around me. So I have decided to read a little bit about it, just to be sure about those stories and I found that marijuana can help you fight against panic attacks. I am not promoting marijuana, please don't get me wrong, I am just telling you what I found on the internet. I am a coward and I would not try it, but I don't know are there anyone who has positive experience with it?

I don't know what to think..

Every medal has two sides of the story, and you need to be aware of it. I am against marijuana because I believe that generally it is not good for anything. I support people who are for it, but I am against it and I hope that you are going to support me as well. I was reading a lot about it as well and I found one article where it says that marijuana relieves that ugly anxiety feeling. People are feeling much better, they forget about their problems, etc. But if you ask me, I think that this is OK maybe for just one minute. Next day, you are feeling worthless and bad, like you don't have any control against your own body. That is what I believe!

EatingBoss, if you want to do something about your life, you should make a good decisions, right? Well, from my point of the view you are making a very bad decisions as long as you are thinking about taking marijuana. Yes, it is true that there are so many articles on the internet which says that marijuana is helpful.

My question is - for what?

OK, you are feeling relaxed but that is just "at the moment". What happens after this? And also folks, when you are telling us that some researches showed that marijuana can be good, you should know that there is a difference between medical and "regular" marijuana. A huge difference.