My mother started developing psoriasis couple of weeks ago and I have to admit that it is not a pretty sight, and she is also very disturbed by it. I just hope that there will not be arthritic problems, because I have heard that it is very much possible. I know that psoriatic arthritis is not possible without arthritis, but can someone have psoriatic arthritis without having psoriasis?

I have to say that I am not sure, but logically, you either have psoriasis, arthritis or psoriatic arthritis. So, theoretically, you can have psoriatic arthritis without psoriasis, but it is called arthritis then. Simple. And PS really is the most complex of these three conditions, and only with meds the symptoms can be subdued.

I am 35 years old and have been diagnosed as having psoratic arthritis and I do not have psoriasis.
Most of the the symptoms do match with the exception of not having psoriasis.
These symptoms only started 2 years ago.

I do have been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis but do not have psoriasis. I have had spondlyoarthropathy for five years but were given a more direct diagnosis with Psoriatic arthritis yesterday. My rheumatologist did say that you can have Psoriatic Arthritis without the psoriasis.

:-(

I was diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis when I was 6 years old. Psoriasis runs rampant in my immediate family and I believe my great grandmother has it. I am now 24 and still do not have or have ever had psoriasis. I hope things stay that way...

Yes it is possible. I have it and have no psoriatic syptoms. It's in my blood work- my joints are very swollen. It is a rheumatoid desease-not  osteoarthritis. The meds are stronger & blood work is done n a regular basis.

wrong, wrong, wrong! I have it without having psoriasis. My husband has it with psoriasis. It's diagnosed with our blood work. It's a rheumatoid desease - not osteoarthritis. There are many types of arthritis out there.

If we are speaking of psoriatic arthritis, my rheumatologist told me that there is no blood test to diagnose psa but rather to rule out other types of arthritis such as rheumatoid. Can I ask which blood test you are speaking of? I am newly diagnosed with psa and I am always worried about a misdiagnosis and taking such powerful meds. From my understanding you can have psa without psoriasis but it is not common. Sometimes the psoriasis comes after the arthritis also.

I, too, have been diagnosed with PA and do not have a continual outbreak of psoriasis. Years ago I had outbreaks of psoriasis in different areas on my body that lasted for weeks then went in. I also developed iritis, an infection of the colored part of the eye, which is caused by an autoimmune problem such as psoriatic arthritis. I questioned my rheumatologist about me having PA since I do not have a continual outbreak of psoriasis but he said I do indeed have it even though the psoriasis is not present.