Hello, I have a question regarding my 59 year old father. He has been having psoriatic changes on the skin for the past several years and it looks like he has some additional problem snow. He has been complaining of the pain in his joints and I think he is suffering from psoriatic arthritis. What are the prognoses for someone diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis?

I guess that depends on the severity of the joint problems. There are various complications that might occur, including several arthritis diseases, even complications of skeletal movement. And if this is followed with psoriasis, then it is considered to be psoriatic arthritis. If it is only joint problem, then it is treated as any other arthritis – with meds that are subduing the symptoms of this condition (relieving the pain, morning stiffness etc).

I am 34 and have had Psoriatic Arthritis for a few years. Mine is mainly in my hands and hips. The pain or discomfort is at its highest early in the day and seems to go down as the day goes. I have been to a few doctors and have considered treatment. I was going to start taking Humira last year buy my insurance denied me because I have not tried other options first, but the other option (I can’t remember the name of the drug) had so many size effects I did not want to risk it. I started a better diet and lost about 30 lbs (I was 215 now around 185) and seem to be doing much better. I still have pain, but not as bad. I have also “heard” medical marijuana can help. Unfortunately it is not approved in my state. My recommendation: improve your diet, exercise the joints, take ibuprofen, and use approved medical marijuana via a vaporizer or ingesting it as a starting point before turning to harsh drugs like Humira/others.