Good day everyone. I am seriously thinking to get a dog. I think that I am listening more about dogs and their health problems, and I don’t have one :) I think that having a dog is a big responsibility, but who knows, maybe I will change my mind. Well, since my father died, my mom is really alone. She was totally alone for three years. I told her to buy a cat, but she told me that she doesn’t like cats. So, she bought a dog. She was feeding him with everything, I think that she is still feeding him with the same food that she is cooking for her. I told her that this is not OK, but she won’t listen to me. A few days ago, her dog got some skin rash. I was wondering, can allergy, maybe food allergy, cause this? 

I have dogs and cats, and I have to tell you that this situation is pretty confusing only at the beginning, but later, they all are unique, and they are like one animal as well :) If you want to get a dog, get him :) You won’t be sorry, I know that.

Yes, of course, allergy can cause dog skin rash. In this situation, it is very possible that food is the main cause of this rash. I don’t know have you seen this dog lately, but dogs with food allergies have really, but really itchy skin. Some substance from the food must be the main cause of this allergic reaction. Tell her to change menu for this dog, and she should take him to the vet as well. 

Yes, sure it can. This allergy can be cause form different skin rashes. You have to know that just like people, dogs can show some allergic symptoms. That is the main sign that their immune system began to recognize some substances, or allergies, that are dangerous. Those allergies are usually harmless to most animals, but some dogs can have extreme reaction on them. When it comes in contact with your dog's skin, it can cause rash. Main symptoms are red, itchy skin, itchy eyes, itchy base of tail, sneezing, vomiting, diarrhea, paw chewing, and constant licking.  I agree that food allergy can cause worst skin rash. 

Sure it can. Actually that is probably the most common cause of rashes (or one of them). Whenever I hear someone’s dog is having a rash, it is usually caused by some allergy. 

You dog can be allergic to certain foods, flea bites, maybe something from the environment. Unfortunately, his allergic reaction will result with a rash in no time. 

These rashes are treated first by eliminating the allergic reaction cause and then by treating the rash with different kinds of sprays, gels or maybe homemade crèmes.

Dogs can also be allergic to flea saliva, that’s why flea bites often lead to rashes.

Hey. Everyone in here agree in one thing – allergy can cause dog skin rash. There are so many potential causes, but I think that food allergies and flea bites are the biggest problems, I can totally say – the main reasons of this issue. Also, I have to agree that environment can have big influence on your dog, especially if your dog lives in home, if you protect him from almost everything. Once he gets in touch with something from the outside, that he is allergic to, he can get skin rash. Your vet can help you eliminate some potential causes. 

Yes it can, in fact, my dog has two of them currently. He’s been driving me crazy, I’m considering buying him an e collar. He keeps licking and scratching the rash area.

I didn’t take him to the vet cause I know he sometimes has a bad reaction to the grass and that is what happened, so I don’t want to bother the vet. I’m sure cause he got the same rashes last time when he went running through some recently cut grass. It was all around his belly and between his legs.

It took weeks for those rashes to disappear.

Yes, of course.

And, I think that I know a lot about this, because my oldest dog still has some scars while he was biting his skin. He had some allergy, but I didn’t know a lot about it.

It was pretty bad rash, and I needed a lot of time to spend until this rash disappear. I just can’t remember exactly, but I know that fleas attacked him and he was allergic to carrots as well.

I just can’t describe you how nervous he was.

So, yes, allergy definitely can cause dog skin rash. And, it can be really, really bad!