Hello, my friends. I have been recently diagnosed with shellfish allergy. I must admit that I try to avoid this kind of meal. Nevertheless, sometimes I carry away and take some food that contains something and I am not aware of it. I would like to know what drugs can help me with my problem.

Hello. The first step in any food allergy is avoiding this kind of food. So, should you. Since you are allergic to shellfish, you should avoid omega-3 and glucosamine supplements as well. Nevertheless, if you are experiencing these symptoms, you can take antihistamines. They are very helpful in reducing the symptom. If, God forbid, anaphylactic shock occurs, then prompt injection of epinephrine is needed. Also, a corticosteroid is given. I hope this won’t be necessary in your case. Good luck!

I think people should know what they are talking about when they post a reply to a serious question, such as shellfish allergies. I was diagnosed with this allergy twenty years ago, and have never knowingly eaten shellfish since. I accidentally ate some crab about ten years ago, and I did react. Food in office staff rooms are a risk because no one labels their food, and the cook isn't always around to ask. Always carry antihistamine tablets just in case.

Glucosamine is safe for us! It is made from the shells of crustaceans, which do not contain the protein which causes the allergy. I have been taking glucosamine for four years now.

I have researched omega-3 sites, it is also safe for shellfish allergies. I have been safely taking omega-3 for two years.

Ask your pharmacist when buying products that indicate shellfish. They are very knowledgeable.

Always tell your wait staff about your allergy, especially if your dinner partners are ordering shellfish. Often the chef will cook your meal in a separate pan to avoid contamination.

Good luck, and don't be discouraged. This is quite manageable.